The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #510 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 11:04am

So in your way of thinking.

A person who does not "Honor thy mother and father" deserves the same punishment as someone who murder 300 children?

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #511 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 11:21am

I would say that while here on earth we can punish people according to the rules and laws we've help to set up.  Here, our laws act more as a deterence then punishment.  Although with our current administration that's getting turned around.  We set up laws so people will know what they can and can't do.  If they do something they can't they get punished and we see what happens to them.  We don't speed 140 MPH on the highway because we know what will happen if we get caught.  So to answer your question I think the person who dishonors their mother and/or father should get a lesser punishment than the murderer.

However in the next life we will be there longer than we are in this one.  You're going to be dead a lot longer than you're going to be alive.  So then we are subject to God's final ruling on our lives.  Since sin is disobeying God, God would say to every one of us, "Depart from Me, ye accursed into everlasting fire.  Prepared for the devil and his angels."  However, if we've accepted Christ as our Savior.  God would ask if there was anyone here that would take our place.  Christ would stand and say, "I did, on the cross at Calvery.  And ____(believer's name goes here) asked me into his life while still on earth."  God would say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servent.  Enter thou into the Joy of the Lord!"

It's great when our God can save the dishonorer and the murderer.  There is still punishment which we can give out and God can give out in this life.  But in the next life it only matters whether or not we rejected/accepted Christ as our Savior.

X
(Waits for Fatman's next comment..he he this is fun)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #512 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 11:30am

It doesn't really matter in the end.  In God's eyes, there is only one thing getting you into heaven, and the "amount" or "severity" of your sin isn't it.  God doesn't have some kind of huge scale that you step on to determine whether or not you've made the cut.

Homosexual or heterosexual, rapist or women's rights activist, if you don't accept Jesus as the Son of God and ask Him to save you from your sinful condition, you're going to Hell.  If you do accept Him, you're going to Heaven.

Don't get me wrong, there will be rewards and punishments handed out in accordance with the manner in which we lived our lives, but they are entirely secondary.

-b0b
(.../theology.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #513 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 8:44pm

Ahh, you bring up a good point of conversation Patsy.  One of my biggest problems with christianity.

I find it hard to swallow that I could go out and murder a few children, rape some women, steal a car, and stab the pope, and then right before I'm put to death for my horrible crimes on humanity, ask Jesus to forgive me (And mean it, I'd be scared of death) and walla...I'm in heaven.

It's one of the many aspects that has kept me from ever calling myself a christian.

And it worries me that I seem to be one of the few people who has a problem with the above scenario.

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #514 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 10:53pm

Well then tell me Fatman...when should God allow anyone to accept His free gift?  If you wait to get your life perfect...you're going to be waiting a long time.  You have to remember...that a theif was the first person to heaven after Jesus.  I think the two theives on the cross show the true nature of God and His love and grace for us.  Two theives hang next to Jesus, they are both guilty.  One is still puffed up with anger and pride, the other is spiritually broken and sincere in his belief.  Jesus say, "Today you will be with me in paradise".  I think the greatest thing that could happen to a murder, rapist, ect. would be to become a Christian.  Becoming a Christon isn't like putting on a new shirt...it feels good for a while but later you forget you have it on.  Being a Christian changes you from the inside out.  I know of countless stories where murders have become Christians and have repented.  Lee Stroble tells of one in his book, "Case For Christ".  All of these men can't be faking it, esp. those on death row.  Becoming a Christian means God has shown you that you are a sinner, He breaks us down so that we are prideless at our conversion.  We embrace Christ as our Savior because we have no one else to turn to.  We recognize our need to be saved, a drowning man will reach for a lifesaver.  I don't see your problem with these people becoming Christians.  Should God not accept these people?  Does that mean He shouldn't accept you?  Or are your "enterence exams" written so it's ok that you pass.  God doesn't say you have to be perfect to accept Him, just that you are broken so that you realize you need Him.

Mat 9:10  And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
Mat 9:11  And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
Mat 9:12  But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
Mat 9:13  But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

X

agentx216  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #515 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 11:16am

agentx216  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #516 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 11:46am

The first thing to remember is that nobody "deserves" Heaven.  Not the holier-than-thou religious elite, and not the serial murderers.  We all stand equally undeserving before God.

If you look at Jesus' ministry, you'll see that he didn't spend much time hanging out with the religious intelligentsia (Pharisees, mostly).  He spent the majority of his time hanging out with thieves, whores, and other generally undesirable people.

One time, the Pharisees called him on it.  They said, "Hey, if you're the Son of God, why is it that you're eating dinner with these lowlifes?"  Jesus then related three parables, the most powerful of which is the parable of the prodigal son.

In that story, a rich landowner has two sons.  The younger "quits the family" by claiming his inheritance early and leaving for a foreign country.  He squanders everything he owns until he is penniless, cleaning up after pigs just to make enough money to eat.

He realizes he has seriously screwed up, and his father's servants have it ten times better than he does.  He decides to return home so he can beg his father for a job as a lowly servant.  Upon returning home, his father sees him, runs to him, and embraces him with open arms.  He won't even hear his son's request to be made a servant, but instead returns him to his original position as an heir to the family and slays a prime cow to celebrate with.

Now, here's the important part.  The older son has been working hard in the field all day.  When he returns home, he sees the commotion and realizes his brother has returned.  He complains to the father, basically saying what you're saying.  "I've worked hard all my life and you won't even give me a goat to celebrate with my friends.  However, when your other son returns after partying away his entire inheritance, you give him the best animal in the entire stockyard for his celebration."

The father pointed out this: "You shouldn't be upset.  Your brother had gone away, but has returned again.  What was lost is now found."

You and I have the position of the Pharisees and the older brother.  We sometimes think we're "more deserving" because we haven't killed anyone, haven't raped anyone, haven't molested anyone, etc.  If you're honest with yourself, though, I'm quite certain you'll find some areas in your life that you aren't too proud of.  A speaker once said, "If my innermost thoughts were open for examination, they would shame Hell."

The admission requirements for Heaven are steep.  Quite simply, they are perfection.  I'm not perfect, and I'm willing to step out on a limb and assume you're not perfect either, which is why Jesus comes into the equation.

Are you familiar with the "Roman Road"?  It's a short set of scriptures found in the book of Romans that addresses your standpoint perfectly.  Romans 1:19-20, 23, and 10 address the question of our standing before God prior to salvation.  I'll paraphrase for ease of reading...

Quote:
"At the very least, we know the law says that everyone is guilty.  Every mouth will be stopped, and all the world is guilty before God.  Therfore, because of the law, nobody will be justified in his sight, because the law gives knowledge of sin."

"For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

"It is written, there are none righteous, no, not a single one.

Again, nobody deserves Heaven.  Not you, not me, and not the lowliest lowlife scum in the prison of your choice.  Why?  Take another step on the Roman Road in Romans 5:12 and you'll see the answer.

Quote:
"Sin entered into the world through one man (Adam), and death entered through sin.  Thus, death spread to all men, because all sinned."

Adam screwed it up.  I could get into a great deal of theology here and discuss Adam's role as our seminal and federal father and exactly how that obligates us to carrying his burden, but suffice it to say that Adam screwed up and we're still paying for it.

You see, that is what is keeping us out of heaven, and that is why Jesus had to die on the cross for us. 

Here's another question for you to think about.  Which sins did Jesus die for?  Did he only die for the occassional lie, the binge drinking session, the pre-marital sex, etc?  Did he not die for rape?  Did he not die for child molestation?  Did he not take the sin of murder upon his shoulders at Calvary?  I contend that he did.  He took upon himself every single sin that had ever occurred, was occurring, or ever would occur.  Including rape.  Including murder.  Including child molestation.

We are no better than the Pharisees when point out a specific sin and say, "They're too lost for God to save them."  Moreover, we're limiting God's power and Jesus's saving grace when we say He can't do something.  Don't limit God!

One last thought.  A saved person is completely incapable of escaping their salvation.  There is nothing you can do to renounce or lose your salvation.  The Bible is very clear about that.  One thing to remember is that "your" salvation isn't really yours at all.  God saves you, and "your" salvation belongs to Him.  Here's what Jesus had to say about the matter, paraphrased for clarity...

John 10:29 - God gave the saved people to me, and He is greater than anyone else.  No man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Nobody.  Not even you can remove yourself from God's grace.  It's a permanent, irrevocable decision and God isn't going to let you out of your obligation once you've made your commitment.  Not even if you kill someone.

-b0b
(...was slightly long winded.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #517 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 9:55pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060623/tc_pcworld/126222

Ok remember the story about the MPAA pirating "This Film Is Not Yet Rated"?  Well this trumps it!

X

agentx216  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #518 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 2:26am

I understand what the bible says bob.  And I understand it's lessons and meanings when it tries to explain God's stance on how you get into heaven.

I'm saying I disagree with it.

I'm sorry I have a hard time believing in a god that would except a child molester into Heaven simply because they repent.  While a man who sleeps with another mans wife and doesn't regret it goes to hell because he refuses to be sorry over it.  Molesting a child is an unforgiveable act in my eyes.  I fail to see how a true God could forgive such a crime.

You say no man is perfect and therefore cannot get into Heaven without admitting as much to Jesus.  I say a man who is evil deserves to go to hell.  No matter how sorry he is about it.  It's too easy a way out, and I can't wrap my morales around it.

Simple truth, and you probably won't change my mind.

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #519 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 10:39am

Well Wes...I'm just glad you're not God.  Now what if we find out that being a child molester is something mental that we can treat?  Would that change your views on it?  But remember if you say yes, then you have to let child molesters into Heaven if they repent, and then you've just changed your mind which God cannot do.

It's kinda funny though.  Most people have a hard time "believing in a loving God that would allow such evil into the world".  Where you don't believe (or have a hard time believing but still believe?) because God is TOO loving.

I think the problem you're having is that you're viewing sin as being placed on the "scales of justice".  To you child molester > adulterer in badness.  God views it at child molester = adulterer.  As Christians we are told not to be legalistic, the Pharasies and Sadgasties(sp?) had that covered and Jesus rebuked them probably more than anyone.

Quote:
You say no man is perfect and therefore cannot get into Heaven without admitting as much to Jesus.  I say a man who is evil deserves to go to hell.

I completely agree with you.  Now let's look at the Judge's (eg God's) definition of what evil is.  Evil - opposite of good, therefore opposite of God.  Evil is anyone who disobeys God: see sin.

Quote:
No matter how sorry he is about it.  It's too easy a way out, and I can't wrap my morales around it.

Wouldn't this show the amazing grace of God though?  If a murder/rapist/child molester/etc would come to Him a broken man and say, "I know I'm a sinner and I know you demand perfection, Almight God.  I believe in your Son, Jesus Christ, who came down from Heaven and died for my sins.  Come into my life.  Forgive me of my sins.  Help me to walk in righteousness from here on out.  Amen".  Maybe you don't believe people would mean it in their hearts?  The belief just in knowledge is not what God wants in repentence.  You can't just say "Yeah I believe Jesus was God and He existed and rose again."  You hav to actually take Him into your life.  You are changed when you accept God's free gift.  You are told afterwards to "Go and sin no more".  Now we still fall but we don't chase sin like we use to.  So maybe you think a child molester will keep doing it.  If he/she is really a true Christian that person will do better.  Not to say that person will have an easy time since there are many difference causes for being a child molester.  But the point is that that person doesn't have to fight for righteousness alone.  God is not only by our side, but He's in us and in our life.  The Father gives, the Son saves, the Spirit helps and all three are the might triune God.  Change occurs in lives of the redeemed.

We might not change you mind, Wes.  But as Christians we must obey God.  God tells us to never give up and never stop telling people about Christ.  You might choose not to accept it, but someday we will all stand before God.  And I don't want God saying, "Why did you quit on him/her, Patrick?"  And I could say nothing other than I thought God wasn't strong enough to change someone's life.  We might not convince you here but God tells us that we should not expect an "instant conversion".  We pray, we trust God and His soverign plan, and keep on talkin in love.

X

agentx216  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #520 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 11:09am

Quote:
To you child molester > adulterer in badness.  God views it at child molester = adulterer.

That pretty much sums up my problem with the bible.  I don't agree with God.  And I guess the reason I have a hard time believing is because I can't view God as perfect when I disagree with one of his base beliefs.

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #521 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 9:50pm

i quit trying to judge people along time ago.

understanding other people is simply impossible (and yes, both men and women are confusing).

Cait
   (...sick of herself)

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
WWW caitmccabe  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #522 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 2:23am

I know yall have prolly read the Jack Handey quotes from SNL but hey, they are gold, heres some more.

http://quotes.prolix.nu/Humor/Jack_Handey

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.

-

If I ever went to war, instead of throwing a grenade, I'd throw one of those small pumpkins. Then maybe my enemy would pick up the pumpkin and think about the futility of war. And that would give me the time I need to hit him with a real grenade.

-

Sometimes when I feel like killing someone, I do a little trick to calm myself down. I'll go over to the persons house and ring the doorbell. When the person comes to the door, I'm gone, but you know what I've left on the porch? A jack-o-lantern with a knife stuck in the side of its head with a note that says "You." After that I usually feel a lot better, and no harm done.

-

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone’s neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

-

Ok I'm done, they are all funny.  Grin

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #523 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 3:38am

Quote:
MySpace's extensive IT architecture currently features 2,682 Web servers, 90 Cache servers with 16GB RAM, 450 Dart Servers, 60 database servers, 150 media processing servers, 1,000 disks in a SAN (storage area network) deployment, three data centers and 17,000MB per second of bandwidth throughput.

I just thought that was insane.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #524 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 11:02am

I have a theory that one day, MySpace will own everyone's soul.

and we all thought the anti-christ would come in the form of a human.

Cait
   (...prefers not to do house chores Tongue)

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
WWW caitmccabe  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 152
Send Topic Print