The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #1845 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 12:52pm

Quote:
Prior fart: legal stink-up over iPhone flatulence apps
David Chartier

Tensions have exploded between Air-O-Matic, Inc. and InfoMedia, Inc., two of the hottest names in iPhone flatulence. Air-O-Matic, maker of "Pull My Finger," has complained to Apple, threatened to sue its competitor over "iFart Mobile," and demanded monetary compensation, so InfoMedia is responding via the courts. At the center of this combustible situation? A trademark Air-O-Matic was awarded for the phrase "pull my finger."

Air-O-Matic's Pull My Finger and InfoMedia's iFart Mobile both quickly stank up the charts in Apple's App Store last December when the iPhone maker finally relented and opened up to such apps. Although iFart Mobile enjoyed a massive sales surge of over 100,000 copies in its first 14 days, iFart Mobile still maintains the number 11 spot in the App Store's Entertainment category.

Air-O-Matic complained to Apple and InfoMedia that its competitor was using unfair business practices, such as spamming Twitter users, gaming Google, and tooting its own horn with overtly glowing reviews on the iTunes Store. Air-O-Matic eventually demanded $50,000 after estimating its losses from InfoMedia's practices, then threatened to sue over InfoMedia's use of its silent-but-deadly ace in the hole: a trademark it filed for in December 2008 on the phrase "pull my finger" in relation to "computer application software for mobile phones."

InfoMedia used the phrase in promotional video titles and even its initial press release, though "pull my finger" linked to iFart Mobile. Air-O-Matic complained early on and InfoMedia agreed to change the press release's language "as a matter of good will." After tiring of the threats, InfoMedia has filed a lawsuit (PDF) in federal court.

Across eight pages that include descriptions of the origin of the "pull my finger" colloquialism, InfoMedia attempts to preempt an Air-O-Matic lawsuit by arguing that the phrase is common slang and not eligible for trademarking. To conclude, InfoMedia says that its use of the phrase—despite its goodwill change of language in its press release—qualifies as fair use. The company seeks a declaratory judgement that its use of "pull my finger" is lawful and does not infringe on any rights that Air-O-Matic might have. Naturally, it is also seeking attorney fees and other typical costs.

You may not believe it, but fart tools are among the largest categories of iPhone apps. In fact, outside of games—the most popular apps—fart apps may very well take the lead. A quick search for "fart" in the App Store produced well over 100 results. Other categories with high "me too" ratios pale by comparison, such as flashlight apps (50) and tip calculators (80), and while "bible" yields over 170 results, each of these categories contain quite a few false positives.

Whether or not InfoMedia is successful in nullifying Air-O-Matic's flatulent trademark or it eventually has to pay up, the situation highlights yet again a number of App Store growing pains that Apple has been slow to acknowledge and act upon. Developers have raised questions about Apple's App Store schizophrenia, and concerns over ambiguous censorship rules have not subsided since Apple opened the flood gates in December to apps that were previously rejected on various grounds of indecency or "duplicating existing functionality."

It should come as no surprise that the riffraff Apple finally allowed into its walled garden are raising quite the stink.

This almost reads like an Onion article.  This is sure to be the trial of the century.  Move over, OJ!

In all seriousness, I hope the plaintiff is forced to pay all court costs, plus a fine for wasting the court's time.

What's next, are we going to ask a judge to intervene every time Jimmy and Sally get into a playground spat?

-b0b
(...I'm suing!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1846 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 2:10am

Happy time change!  Don't forget to set your clocks back!

-b0b
(...had to get up at 2:00am to babysit the time change at work.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1847 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 11:34am

I came across this interesting site and thought you guys might want to take a look...

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/HDView/HDGigapixel.htm

Microsoft Research has come up with some interesting technology that combines multiple small images of a landscape into one massively-detailed image ranging from 1-5 gigapixel.  You have to download a small snap-in (IE or FireFox) to view the images, but the result is incredible.

In one sample picture of the Seattle skyline, you can zoom out to view the entire skyline, or zoom in to make out the detailed features of a construction worker.

I think this technology would make for an awesome online edition of Where's Waldo!

-b0b
(...w00t!)
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2009 at 9:55am by b0b »  

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1848 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 9:56am

Quote:
Cops: Man with ice cream in pants offers owner $69

FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) -- What would you do for a Klondike bar? Authorities said a man shoved an ice cream bar down his pants and then offered a Texaco station store owner $69 not to turn him in for shoplifting. The owner told police that a 65-year-old man tried to sneak the Klondike bar, along with packages of Ramen noodles and Famous Amos cookies, out of the store without paying Tuesday night.

When the store owner confronted the man as he tried the leave the store, the owner reported that the man pulled the flattened ice cream snack out of his back pocket and offered the owner $69 for it.

The owner called police, and the man was charged with retail theft and violation of probation charges. He was being held on $500 bail.

I had to post this one just for the headline.  As soon as I saw it, the first word that came to mind was Spanky.

-b0b
(...snickers.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1849 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 2:33am

Why not 70?  Because 69 is a mouth full.

X
Roll Eyes

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1850 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 12:22pm

Quote:
Willis Group to move into Sears Tower, which will be renamed
By MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Willis Group Holdings said Thursday that it will consolidate five Chicago-area offices and move nearly 500 associates into Sears Tower, initially occupying more than 140,000 square feet. Under an agreement with Sears Tower's owners, the building will be renamed Willis Tower, according to the global insurance broker. The company said it is not incurring any extra costs associated with the name change.

Renaming the Sears Tower is stupid and pointless.  Nobody is going to use this new name simply because the building owner chooses to do so.

I can't believe a company leasing a mere 140,000 square feet of office space has this kind of sway.  They must be throwing down some big money to pull this off.

-b0b
(...retarded story of the day.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reply #1851 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 12:06am

Plus Willis Tower just sounds stupid.

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #1852 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 12:32am

I'd call it that if Bruce Willis owned it. And then he can let Mr. Hans Gruber fall outside the window after the big explosion.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1853 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 2:42am

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1854 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 9:46pm

Since the Cry Freedom thread is busy...

Quote:
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/MI_cops_shoot_unarmed_20yearold_marijuana_0316.htm...

A 20-year-old university student in Michigan is hospitalized and in serious condition after police shot the man Wednesday while serving a drug warrant. He was unarmed, investigators said.

Coming through an apartment's back door, an Ottawa County deputy allegedly shined a flashlight into the student's face, causing him to raise his right hand in front of his eyes.

The officer, whose name was not released, fired a single bullet into Derek Copp's chest. The 20-year-old Grand Valley State University student, who survived the shooting, said he had no idea the man was an officer.

"He never even had a chance to even see who was coming at him, with a bright flashlight in his face," said Sheryl Copp, Derek's mother, in a 24 Hour News 8 report. "He had no clue. He heard someone knock on his door, and he had no clue."

Copp's parents insist their son is not a drug dealer. However, he appears to be a marijuana activist, stating on his facebook page he likes to "SMOKA DA BOLSKI" (smoke a 'bowl') and on his YouTube page in a video titled 'Hippie Lunchtime Hour,' he makes references to baking marijuana-infused brownies.

Copp's parents were not notified of the shooting by police, reported CelebStoner. They allegedly found out six hours later.

The officer is on paid administrative leave. Police have not said whether they found any drugs in Copp's apartment.

Monday, a group of about 25 protesters gathered outside the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department holding signs which read, "Don't shoot, I'm unarmed" and "Why did you shoot my friend?"

"I want to know what brought the Enforcement Team to Derek's apartment and why a firearm was discharged," wrote University President Thomas Haas in a Monday e-mail sent to police and student activists.

"The fact that this incident took place off-campus diminishes neither my interest nor my concern," he said in a report by MLive.com.

Jim DeVries with the Police Officers Association of Michigan "said the deputy is required by contract to give a statement in any internal sheriff's department investigation that could impact his job, but it cannot be used by prosecutors for any criminal charges," reported MLive.com. "So far, no internal statement has been requested."

"DeVries said it is not unusual for a union-represented officer to forgo speaking with investigators in a shooting incident and he does not think it gives an appearance of wrongdoing."

"Derek Copp's family, meantime, has hired Grand Rapids Attorney, Fred Dilley," reported ABC WZZM 13. "In a statement, he says, 'We have some very important questions about what appears to be some shocking police activity.' Dilley says his client is making a satisfactory, but guarded recovery. The bullet tore through his upper right lung and liver and damaged two ribs.

"As for the protesters, their voices were heard by the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department. After a brief meeting, they decided to sit down and discuss the issue as soon as the investigation is complete."

Organizers said the next major event planned is a march 1 p.m. Friday in Grand Rapids," reported Holland Sentinel.

National media has been absent on the case and local media has focused on 'irrelevancies,' noted Michigan Messenger's Ed Brayton.

"The Grand Rapids Press took a look at Copp’s Facebook page and found that it had 'drug references,' as though that had some bearing on whether he should have been shot or not. They found out that the student had expressed 'his advocacy and interest in reforming marijuana laws' and that he had declared himself to be a 'left wing hippie peace-keeping liberal.'

"But wait, there’s more. He had advocated the passage of last fall’s proposal to legalize medical marijuana in Michigan. And he liked the movie Drugstore Cowboy, as well as - gasp! - Martin Scorcese movies. Worst of all, he had quoted Grateful Dead lyrics.

"This strikes me as the drug war equivalent of asking what a rape victim was wearing."

Copp reportedly wants to be a filmmaker and said he may produce work based on the shooting.

Although I'm sure there is more to this story than meets the eye, that officer has a lot of explaining to do.  I'm guessing that hippy is going to be very thoroughly compensated for his trouble.

-b0b
(...less talking, more stick time!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1855 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:31am

This is going to keep Stewie up at night:  http://www.Pipl.com

It's a search engine designed to look up information on people based only on their name and city.  Fortunately, it didn't find much on me, but I generally don't use my real name on the Interwebz very often.

-b0b
(...found it to be surprisingly broad in scope.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1856 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 2:24pm

Wow, that is a little scary.  That even pulled up my facebook page, I forgot I even had a facebook page.  I am not going to pay the $1.95 to find out everything, but it looks like they have my phone numbers, email, address, and income listed on that site.  Very not cool.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reply #1857 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 12:58am

Thing didn't find shit on me.

I move too much, I'm like a fucking shadow.

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #1858 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 7:02pm

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/air.force.one.2.996457.html

Quote:
In a memo obtained by CBS 2 HD the Federal Aviation Administration's James Johnston said the agency was aware of "the possibility of public concern regarding DOD (Department of Defense) aircraft flying at low altitudes" in an around New York City. But they demanded total secrecy from the NYPD, the Secret Service, the FBI and even the mayor's office and threatened federal sanctions if the secret got out.

this defy's all logic.  WTF are they doing over there in DC

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1859 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 8:14am

Quote:
WTF are they doing over there in DC

Bailouts.  I am currently applying for one because I am one of the few unlucky americans to be worth less than $100 million.

Quote:
I move too much, I'm like a fucking shadow.

A little late, but... I think that is called an eclipse wes.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 ... 152
Send Topic Print