The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #1830 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 8:40am

Quote:
Three Rivers 'Joker' makes Smoking Gun's Top 20
Monday December 22, 2008, 1:04 AM

THREE RIVERS, MI -- The notoriety of being arrested for trying to swipe Batman movie posters while dressed as the Joker hasn't quit for Three Rivers resident Spencer Taylor.

Coming in at No. 19, a makeup-laden Taylor is featured as one of the Top 20 mug shots of 2008 at www.thesmokinggun.com, a Web site featuring police reports and mug shots from around the country.

In July, police said Taylor was trying to pull posters of "The Dark Knight" off walls at the Three Rivers 6 movie theater. He pleaded guilty to a property-destruction charges and was sentenced to a day in jail.

This story just won't go away.  Thanks, Spencer, for putting us on the map!

-b0b
(...at least we don't have Verne Troyer.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1831 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:59am

Quote:
"What are you doing here?": man asks wife at brothel

WARSAW (Reuters) - A Polish man got the shock of his life when he visited a brothel and spotted his wife among the establishment's employees.

Polish tabloid Super Express said the woman had been making some extra money on the side while telling her husband she worked at a store in a nearby town.

"I was dumbfounded. I thought I was dreaming," the husband told the newspaper on Wednesday.

The couple, married for 14 years, are now divorcing, the newspaper reported.

Best.  Story.  EVARRRR!

-b0b
(...give this man a Pulitzer!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1832 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 2:12pm

Quote:
iTunes goes DRM-free
Today Apple announced that it was breaking its $0.99 per track model and dropping DRM for 8 million songs. The fixed price track gave way to three price tiers: $0.69, $0.99, and $1.29 per song. Apple also expanded the iPhone music store from WiFi only to 3G service.

Although we all hate Apple equally (except Briney), they are the undisputed leader in digital music sales.  With them finally throwing in the towel on DRM, I'm guessing everyone else will follow suit relatively soon.  It's about time!

-b0b
(...cheers!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #1833 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 4:07pm

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D95HPUGG0&show_article=1

Quote:
President-elect Barack Obama says the nation probably faces huge deficits for years to come, but heavy spending is needed now to spur the economy.

Obama said Tuesday the deficit appears on track to hit $1 trillion soon. Speaking to reporters after meeting with top economic aides, Obama said: "Potentially we've got trillion-dollar deficits for years to come, even with the economic recovery that we are working on."

When do banks realize we aren't going to pay this back anytime soon?

And I hate Macs, but I can stomach the pain and use them from time to time.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1834 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 5:49pm

All of this deficit spending is going to come back to bite us in the butt before too long.  At some point, our entire debt service will go to paying interest.  Eventually, other countries are going to charge higher interest rates for their loans, and the whole system is going to get a rude awakening.

-b0b
(...can't print your way out of this one, Bernanke.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1835 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 7:12pm

I wonder if anyone will wake up and go, "Ya know the only thing worth anything is what someone can do for me" and we go to a barter system again.  Think about it - gold, silver, etc. are the basic basis for all economies.  Ooo it's shinny, but who cares?  The only thing worth anything is what you can do for me.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1836 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:34am

Quote:
GM to end jobs bank benefit next week
By Shawn Langlois, MarketWatch

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- General Motors Corp. said Wednesday that, under the terms of its recent federal bailout, this week will mark the last for its jobs bank, a program that pays laid-off union workers their full salary even when they're not on the assembly lines.

The jobs bank, despite covering only 1,600 workers, has emerged as a symbol of excessive union benefits at a time when the Detroit-based automaker is drowning in losses and struggling to survive the historic industry downturn.

GM spokesman Tony Sapienza said the workers leaving the jobs bank will now be entitled to unemployment benefits and some GM pay that will bring their total compensation to about 72% of their full pay, which could last almost a year.

That payout is down from the 100% traditionally paid by the jobs bank, although that number was trimmed to 85% as of last month.

Closing the program was part of the deal for GM to obtain the $13.4 billion in loans from the U.S. government late last year. The United Auto Workers last week set a Jan. 26 date for the closure of the jobs bank at Chrysler, which received $4 billion in aid.

Both companies have a deadline of Feb. 17 to show that progress has been made on their road to long-term viability in order for them to keep their loans.

GM shares rose 2.1% to finish at $3.42 but are still down 87% in the past year.

You never hear anybody complain about Toyota's job bank, even though they got $3.2 billion in grants from Senators Shelby and Corker.  Anyway, this is definitely a step in the right direction and I can only hope that Ford and Chrysler will be making similar announcements in the near future.

-b0b
(...otherwise, Toyota will be snapping them up.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #1837 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:02pm

I just thought I'd post in this thread that Battlestar Galactica frustrates me to no end sometimes.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1838 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 7:57pm

Since we're posting random stuff, I should mention that Mere and I landed in Florida a couple hours ago.  We're finally getting around to taking our postponed Disney vacation.

Thank God for cellular Interweb connections!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reply #1839 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:02am

You're in Orlando b0b?

I wish you'd told me a head of time, I could have met ya for a cup of coffee or something before you headed back dork!

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1840 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 7:25pm

The_Fat_Man wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:02am:
You're in Orlando b0b?

I wish you'd told me a head of time, I could have met ya for a cup of coffee or something before you headed back dork!

I totally forgot you were down here.  The weather is frickin' perfect this time of year!

-b0b
(...is jealous.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1841 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 1:06am

Was actually freezing the day you got here lol

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1842 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:36am

Geez, I leave for a week and you guys drop off the face of the planet!

We got to Florida in time to enjoy record low temperatures (and cheerleaders!), then got back to Michigan just in time to meet the record high temperatures.  I think Al Gore broke the planet.

-b0b
(...w00t!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1843 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 1:56am

Yeah what was it 2 or 3 days ago it was 22 degrees outside at 2am.

TWENTY TWO DEGREES!  That's like...-45 in Michigan.

sendasteel2000 fatmanlan  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1844 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 4:17pm

Quote:
Pirate Bay Trial Starts Monday

The Harvard Law students defending accused file-swapper Joel Tenenbaum are doing their best to turn his upcoming trial into a media event, but when it comes to pure spectacle, they have nothing on The Pirate Bay. The Swedish trial against the notorious BitTorrent tracker opens next Monday, and it will come complete with live streamed audio from the courtroom, a Twitter feed, a translation service, and a city bus currently being driven from Belgrade to Stockholm.

The folks on trial are referring to the event as a "spectrial," a combination of "spectacle" and "trial," and there's little doubt it will be. The Pirate Bay backers are on trial for secondary copyright infringement in a case that has been building for several years. The trial begins on February 16 and is slated to go through March 4, with everyone from The Pirate Bay's young backers to the head of the IFPI taking the stand to give evidence. In the middle of it all, on February 20, a "HUGE PARTY" is scheduled.

Public broadcaster SVT will stream audio of the trial, though video recordings from the courtroom are not allowed. The case will (obviously) be held in Swedish, with translation services offered to English-speaking witnesses, but The Pirate Bay wants to make the trial even more accessible to a wider audience. "Of course, this is not enough for us," they write on their new trial-tracking website. "By the help of some friends, we will set up a translated and commentated stream. We will also discuss the trial with famous and/or interesting guests." No word yet on how this will work or how to access it.

The Pirate Bay also hopes to set up a media center outside the courtroom, though with a twist—the center will be a city bus. The bus, called S23K, is currently wending its way through Poland (you can track its progress online), facing various and sundry crises such as gas stations that don't accept euros. In Gdansk, the bus will take a ferry up to northern Sweden, and it is scheduled to arrive in Stockholm before the trial begins. Once there, it will be parked somewhere near the courthouse and "it will be used to intensify the spectacle, among other things functioning as a press center for The Pirate Bay and Piratbyrån and as a physical gathering place for sympathisers and curious people."

Somewhat oddly, the HUGE PARTY and the bus trip have both been underwritten by donations. Paying to purchase content is right out, of course, but there's a good list of people willing to pony up for both beer and a Belgrade city bus.

Of course, there's also a big press conference scheduled for Sunday, though The Pirate Bay won't speak to just anybody. Models of upright social behavior themselves, the site's backers can't waste their time with "people who really just can’t behave." They also "do not speak with assholes," and reserve the right to deny press conference access to anyone "just having [a] bad attitude." Clear enough?

With the help of Web streaming, bloggers, Twitter feeds (#spectrial), IRC channels, websites, and one piratical bus, The Pirate Bay is set to fight The Man, but the Swedish establishment and the music business have been preparing for this day for year. Will they at last be able to sink The Pirate Bay?

The founders thumb their noses at the majesty of the law, of course; even if found guilty, they have no plans to shut down The Pirate Bay's global network of servers.

Late update: IFPI, music's global trade group, has issued a statement of its own on the upcoming trial. John Kennedy, the group's chairman (and someone scheduled to testify in Stockholm in a couple weeks), said, "The evidence in this case will show that The Pirate Bay is a commercial business which made substantial amounts of money for its operators, despite their claim to be only interested in spreading culture for free."

"A healthy and fairly-rewarded music sector needs protecting from services such as The Pirate Bay. The criminal prosecution comes at a time of rapid, positive change in the business models of creative industries in Sweden and elsewhere. Swedish music consumers have a wide range of choices among legitimate digital music services. These offer great consumer choice while at the same time rewarding and respecting the rights of creators.”

As one Ars Technica reader so aptly put it, "They should begin the proceedings with a moment of silence to the thousands of musicians who died of starvation in the 80's after the recordable audio cassette came out.  Just to remind everyone how serious this issue really is."

I have to hand it to Pirate Bay, they really know how to put on a show.  I have a feeling they're going to get slaughtered in court, but I hope they have some fun on the way down!

-b0b
(...is glad TPB will still be around regardless of the outcome of this case.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 ... 152
Send Topic Print