Send Topic Print
Random Stupidity (Read 436711 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #1680 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:16pm

It was made for diabled people...but what about all of us that are just too lazy to walk anywhere?

And...burninating...nuff said.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #1681 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:46pm

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1682 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:16pm

Ironman wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:46pm:

In the first group to go rolling down the hill, I saw a flash of red and thought the guy tore his arm off or something.  Unfortunately, it was just a red stripe on his shirt.

-b0b
(...was vaguely disappointed.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #1683 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 3:36pm

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1903

some small independent game studio have published a point and click adventure game called Limbo of the Lost

...They also stole most of their backgrounds and art from current games.

Some examples:

Limbo of the Lost:

UT2K4:

Oblivion:

http://www.kentmessenger.co.uk/paper/default.asp?article_id=9644&slide_id=1&news...

The company and game was started by these guys.

They are about to be in a world of legal trouble. Bethesda I think has already moved to sue them.

Here is a list of other games/movies they have copied:

Diablo II, Painkiller, Unreal Tournament 2003, Enclave, Unreal Tournament 2004, Black & White, Thief: Deadly Shadows, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Crysis, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, World of Warcraft, scenes from the 1997 film Spawn, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Rune

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1684 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:58pm

I meant to post this yesterday but I got too busy and forgot about it.  As of yesterday, ShackNews was only aware of the Oblivion ripoffs.  I hadn't heard about the other games.  Craziness!

The screenshots from Oblivion were such obvious ripoffs that I can't figure out how the company thought they'd get away with it.  I haven't played Oblivion for over a year now and I recognized several of the screenshots right off the bat.  Heck, I can tell you the names of the locations even now!

"Limbo of the Lost" is just a point-and-click adventure, kind of like Myst.  The "developers" apparent just turned off the UI in the other games, took a screenshot, and used them as flat 2D backgrounds for their point-and-click game.  As one poster on ShackNews pointed out, they could have at least used a decent computer and cranked the image quality before they took the screenshots!

This is pathetic.  I have no idea how they thought they would get away with this.

-b0b
(...gives 'em the finger.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Michgan
Reply #1685 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:24pm

I hope the developers get away with it and the publishers get caught because the stupid publishers probably bought the game from the developers without knowing anything about gaming.  The guys holding the game obviously had money to spend and didn't know a lick about gaming.

Stick N1ck The St1ck  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1686 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:58pm

This is such complete and utter tripe.  How could they be so blatant and not expect to get caught?

More Oblivion screenshot comparisons.

One of the images for an in-game item was stolen from Diablo...

A couple of screenshots comparing Thief 3...

The image in the background was stolen from Morrowind (Orcish Armor)...

The background/border was stolen from Diablo 2...

I'm sure we all recognize this train from UT2004...

This bad boy was ripped from UT3.

And, finally, a rip from Painkiller...

Pirates of the Carribean and Vampire: Bloodlines have also been spotted.  I've played darn near all of these games, so this really blows my mind.  I almost want to download a copy of Limbo of the Lost just to find out how the heck they combined all of these genres into one game?

-b0b
(...hopes they get destroyed in court.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1687 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:04pm

...and here's the kicker.  This is from an earlier interview conducted in December 2006.

Quote:
Gordon: So have any more recent games influenced your current project?

Steve: The project is more influenced by film and literature rather than other games, we want the experience to be as original as possible and as such we have made a calculated effort to keep away from other games in the genre. Limbo of the Lost is an experience first and foremost, secondly wrapped up in a game media and genre.

Gordon: During the long gestation for this game, what sort of changes have you made to bring it up to date.

Steve: All of the game (apart from initial background story and some character designs) had to be re-written, all the characters had to be created in 3D and animated, all the background scenes re-created, all the sounds, coding and music?..basically everything had to be redone or newly created for the PC version. This is not an old game that has been dressed up. This is the original concept, dusted off and re-created.

What a crock.

-b0b
(...fumes.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #1688 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 12:29am

heh not to mention their little UI graphic is what Blizzard uses on some of their WoW wallpapers.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1689 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:42am

Quote:
World's first rotating skyscraper unveiled in Dubai
Last Updated: 9:25AM BST 25/06/2008

The Dubai skyline will be constantly changing after plans for the world's first rotating tower were unveiled.

The 80-storey "Dynamic Tower," will be a shifting skyscraper of luxury apartments on spinning floors, which will be attached to a central column.

Plans for the project were unveiled in New York by Italian architect David Fisher, who said: "This building will have endless different shapes".

The 420-meter (1,378-foot) building features 80 apartments that spin a full 360 degrees around a central column by means of 79 power-generating wind turbines located between each floor.

The apartments will take between one and three hours to make a complete rotation, and at 30,000 dollars (£15,254) per square meters, will cost between 3.7 million (£1.8 million) to 36 million dollars (£18 million).

Mr Fisher said the skyscraper, which would be energy self sufficient and cost about 700 million dollars (£355 million) to build, was due to be completed in Dubai by 2010.

The Mirax group plans to build a similar, 70-story skyscraper in Moscow. "We look forward to build a third one in New York and maybe in other cities," said Fisher.

"These buildings will open our vision all around, to a new life," he added.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/2191592/World%27s-fir...

Imagine the maintenance on this thing!  Not only the cost, but the feasibility!

Just when I thought nothing more pointless than Head On could be developed, Dubai comes along with this beast.  Crazy!

-b0b
(...JENGA!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Michgan
Reply #1690 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 9:22am

people say that they nearly get sick from regular sky scrapers swaying back and fourth. I can only imagine with this one.

Stick N1ck The St1ck  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1691 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 9:38am

Quote:
Just when I thought nothing more pointless than Head On could be developed, Dubai comes along with this beast.

WHAT!?  Head On is not pointless!!  You apply directly to the forehead...then secks??

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1692 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:06am

1)  Apply directly to forehead.
2)  ...?
3)  PROFIT!

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1693 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 9:19am

Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. —  Thanks to some text message-savvy grandchildren, North Carolina drivers whose license plates have the potentially offensive "WTF" letter combination can replace the tags for free.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Tuesday the state Division of Motor Vehicles has notified nearly 10,000 holders of license plates with the letter combination. Officials learned last year the common acronym stands for a vulgar phrase in e-mail and cell phone text messages.

But this week, the DMV officials got another surprise when they learned the same letters appeared on the agency's own Web site on a sample personalized plate.

"I can't believe it," DMV Commissioner Bill Gore said Monday when told about the online glitch. "Obviously, I didn't know it was there."

Officials are working to remove the sample plate.

The "WTF-5505" used on the Web site's sample plate was the first random letter combination available when DMV switched from blue- to red-lettered plates, officials said. DMV spokeswoman Marge Howell received a sample plate WTF-5506 to use as a prop for news stories about the switch.

A 60-year-old technology teacher from Fayetteville complained about the plate last July after her teenage grandchildren clued her in.

They are also the proud state that issued the 2GRLS1CUP plate.

-b0b
(...roffles.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1694 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 2:33pm

Quote:
British student gets credit for expletive on exam

LONDON — A British high school student received credit for writing nothing but a two-word obscenity on an exam paper because the phrase expressed meaning and was spelled correctly.

The Times newspaper on Monday quoted examiner Peter Buckroyd as saying he gave the student — who wrote an expletive starting with f, followed by the word "off" — two points out of a possible 27 for the English paper.

"It would be wicked to give it zero because it does show some very basic skills we are looking for, like conveying some meaning and some spelling," Buckroyd was quoted as saying.

"It's better than someone that doesn't write anything at all."

Buckroyd said the student would have received a higher mark if the phrase had been punctuated.

Buckroyd is a senior examiner for the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance, one of several bodies that grade British high school exams.

He said the expletive was used in 2006 by a student in response to the question: "Describe the room you are sitting in."

The alliance confirmed the newspaper's story was accurate, but said Buckroyd's decision to award the student marks was not official policy.

"The example cited was unique in the experience of the senior examiner concerned and was used in a pre-training session to emphasize the importance of adhering to the mark scheme: i.e. if a candidate makes any sort of response to a question then it must be at least given consideration to be awarded a mark," the company said in a statement.

It said obscenities on exam papers "should either be disregarded, or action will be taken against the candidate, depending on the seriousness of the case."

Wow.  This student should have been whacked upside the head with a book, but no, we're going to give him credit for insulting us instead!

-b0b
(...drop the frickin' curtain already!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 152
Send Topic Print