Send Topic Print
Random Stupidity (Read 436758 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #1590 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 2:20pm

Yeah I fought with my parents.  But they fed me, gave me a place to live, and spent a lot of money raising me.  So when it came down to it I shut my fucking mouth and lived with their rules.

This guy was so depressed that he couldn't talk to his friends online?  So he wasn't being beaten/molested, he was being fed, and had a place to live.  What the hell could he be so damned depressed about?

This is why everyone should beat their kids.  (when they do stupid shit!)  I bet if he complained about having no internet and got the belt...next time he would ask for no internet.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1591 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 9:40am

Quote:
Pilot fell from sky, into hearts of an island

By Charles J. Hanley - The Associated Press
Posted : Sunday Mar 9, 2008 11:58:13 EDT

BIALLA, Papua New Guinea — The Japanese fighter caught the American pilot from behind, riddling his plane with machine-gun rounds. The left engine burst into flames. It was time to bail out.

He yanked on the release lever but the cockpit canopy only half-opened. He unbuckled his seat belt, rose to shake the canopy loose and was instantly sucked out.

Swinging beneath his opened parachute, he plunged toward a Pacific island jungle of thick, towering eucalyptus trees, of crocodile rivers and headhunters, into enemy territory, and into an unimagined future as a hero, “Suara Auru,” Chief Warrior, to generations of islanders yet unborn.

———

Fred Hargesheimer was shot down in the southwest Pacific on June 5, 1943. A lifetime later, he sits in his quiet California ranch house amid the snow and soaring sugar pines of the Sierra Nevada foothills.

The light blue eyes, at age 91, can’t see as well as they once did. But when he looks back over 65 years, the smiling Minnesotan sees it all clearly — the struggle to survive, the native rescuers, the Japanese patrols and narrow escapes, the mother’s milk that saved him. He remembers well his return to New Britain, the people’s embrace, the fundraising and building, the children taught, the adults cured, the happy years beside the Bismarck Sea with Dorothy, his wife.

“I’m so grateful for getting shot out of the sky,” he says.

Garua Peni is grateful, too, as a member of those once-future generations here on New Britain.

“I thank God from the depths of my heart for blessing me in such an abundant way when He brought Suara Auru Fred Hargesheimer,” she says.

The improbable story of “Mastah Preddi,” a story of uncommon gratitude and the heart’s uncanny ways, begins when the 27-year-old Army lieutenant crashes to the tangled underbrush of the jungle floor.

———

Picking himself up, “Hargy” Hargesheimer found no broken bones, but felt a bloody gash on his head, the graze of a bullet or shrapnel. He cut off bits of nylon parachute for a bandage. Then he looked around.

He had been on a photo-reconnaissance mission from his base on the main island of New Guinea, tracking ship movements around Japanese-occupied New Britain, a primitive, 370-mile-long crescent of hot, dark, mist-shrouded forests fringed by smoldering volcanos, 700 miles from northeastern Australia.

He came down halfway up the slopes of the 4,000-foot-high Nakanai mountains, in a wilderness of torrential rains, giant ferns, venomous insects and vicious wild pigs whose tusks could kill a man. Hargesheimer checked his survival kit, finding compass, machete, extra ammunition for his pistol, and two bars of concentrated chocolate, his only food.

First he set out southward, hoping to cross the mountains and reach New Britain’s south coast, and somehow from there the island of New Guinea, 300 miles across the Solomon Sea. Steep and muddy slopes defeated him, however, and he turned north instead, toward the Bismarck Sea. Remembering the small inflatable raft in his kit, he tried floating down a stream, but a huge crocodile reared up and sent him scrambling back ashore.

Day by day, he pushed agonizingly through the choking jungle, hoping for a trail or clearing. At night, he recalled, he’d lie beneath a parachute shelter, dreaming he was home in bed in Rochester, Minn.

After 10 days, as his chocolate dwindled, he came upon a riverside clearing and an empty native lean-to, and decided to settle in, start a fire with his emergency matches, and hunt for food. Snails he found in the riverbed became his staple for weeks to come, roasted by the dozen.

His daily existence in the jungle was miserable. Leeches clung to his skin. Flying insects sought out his eyes and nose. Losing weight and strength, out of matches and desperately keeping his fire going, he suffered through nightmares of dying alone in the jungle. From his youthful days as an Episcopalian lay reader, the lost pilot summoned words of hope.

“The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want,” he told himself, over and over. From memory each day, he’d recite that 23rd Psalm to its comforting final verse, “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life ... ”

And on the 31st day, he heard voices on the river. When they came to him, he cried.

———

Villagers here on the north coast had seen the distant plane go down. Now, in an outrigger canoe on an upriver hunting trip, they had their eyes out for a pilot.

Finding Hargesheimer by the riverside, Lauo, their “luluai,” or chief, showed the bearded, haggard white man a note written by an Australian officer saying these villagers had saved other pilots and could be trusted.

That night by the river, Lauo’s party exploded with wild singing and feasting, unnerving the young American, who had been warned by intelligence officers of headhunters in these highlands. Then, as they sang in an island tongue, he picked out the melody: “Onward, Christian Soldiers.” He felt reassured.

They took him downriver to their seaside village, Ea Ea, a place of grass-roofed lean-tos. They gave him a hut and fed him boiled pig, shellfish and taro, their starchy tuber mainstay. He went fishing with them in their canoes under cover of darkness, and began to learn Pidgin, the islanders’ simple, English-based common language.

In his tattered aviator’s uniform, he joined in services each Sunday led by three Christian missionaries, natives who had fled New Britain’s main town, Rabaul, when the Japanese landed 17 months earlier.

Because enemy troops patrolled the beaches, Hargesheimer spent many days in a hut hidden in a nearby swamp. But one day he was caught away from his hideout when an alarm went up that Japanese were approaching. Village friend Joseph Gabu led the American into the rain forest, sending him up a eucalyptus tree to hide.

Through the night, he was tormented by swarms of mosquitoes, until finally the next day Gabu came for him. All was clear, but within weeks Hargesheimer was stricken with the severe chills and fever of mosquito-borne malaria.

It left him prostrate, weakening, not eating for days. He asked for milk, but there was none. Then the missionary Apelis asked whether he would drink “susu.” He brought his wife, Ida, to the hut, carrying their month-old baby.

She slipped behind the grass wall and returned with a cup of milk. For 10 or more days following, she supplied Hargesheimer with her “susu,” mother’s milk that helped restore his health.

Villagers protected “Mastah Preddi” — Master Freddie — apparently because they hated the Japanese for their cruel treatment of natives. Time and again, the low echo of a conch shell blown by a villager would warn of Japanese. If Mastah Preddi wore his boots as he rushed to hide, children would follow with makeshift brooms, sweeping away his prints from the sand.

The village took a great risk by protecting him from the Japanese, he says.

“If they’d seen my boot prints, I think they would have tortured everyone in the village until they produced me.”

When he finally left, “some of them wanted me to take their children back to the States with me,” he recalls, sitting so many years later in the afternoon light at his dining table, sharing indelible memories of human kindness.

Fred Hargesheimer walked repeatedly through the 23rd Psalm’s “valley of the shadow of death,” always emerging safely with the help of the people of Ea Ea.

———

In February 1944, eight months after he was shot down, Hargesheimer was picked up from a New Britain beach by a U.S. submarine, in a rendezvous arranged by Australian “coastwatcher” commandos operating behind Japanese lines.

He returned to civilian life after the war ended in 1945. By then he had married Dorothy Sheldon of Ashtabula, Ohio, and by 1949 they had three children — Richard, Eric and Carol. In 1951, he took a sales job with a Minnesota forerunner of computer maker Sperry Rand, his employer ever after.

But the people of Ea Ea never left his mind. He corresponded with a missionary to learn how they had fared. He studied and restudied international air schedules.

“The more I thought about my experience with the people in New Guinea, the more I realized what a debt I had to try to repay,” he says.

In 1960, with the family vacation money and the family’s blessing, Hargesheimer made a solitary, 11,000-mile journey back to New Britain, biggest outer island of Papua New Guinea, then Australian-run, now independent.

The villagers, hearing Mastah Preddi was coming, lined the beach and sang “God Save the Queen” as he stepped from a boat in the moonlight.

“It was wonderful, overwhelming,” he says. He was met by Luluai Lauo, Joseph Gabu and others, and later found Ida and her 16-year-old son, to thank her, too.

But “a simple thank you didn’t seem enough,” he recalls. Back home, he consulted with a missionary, who told him what the people needed: a school.

The Minnesota salesman went to work, canvassing relatives, meeting with church groups, speaking to service organizations. He raised $15,000 over three years, “most of it $5 and $10 gifts.”

With the money and 17-year-old son Dick in tow, he returned to New Britain in 1963. He was given church land in Ewasse, a central settlement near Ea Ea, now renamed Nantabu. There a contractor raised the area’s first permanent elementary school — cement floor, metal roof, sturdy walls.

He brought in New Guinean teachers, American volunteers and an Australian headmaster, and the Airmen’s Memorial School opened in 1964 with 40 pupils and four classrooms. But Fred Hargesheimer wasn’t finished.

Back in the U.S., a brief spurt of publicity drew more contributions, he got more ideas, and this story of a debt repaid grew, decade by decade. But it was a story little known or celebrated beyond New Britain’s welcoming villages.

In 1969, his fund built a library at the school and a clinic for Ewasse. By then, too, the school’s successful plot of oil palm helped pave the way for a large plantation of the lucrative crop, with scores of jobs, easing the deep poverty here in Bialla district. Rows of the stout palms today blanket the hills, property of Belgian-owned Hargy Oil Palm Ltd., west of a large lake named Hargy.

Once his own children were grown, Hargesheimer saw an opportunity to “say thank you in a meaningful way.” In 1970, he and Dorothy packed up and moved to New Britain, to teach the children themselves and to build a second school — this time closer to Nantabu, next door in the village of Noau, at the foot of the smoking Mount Ulawan volcano.

Garua Peni, then 10, was one of their first students.

“I thought, ‘Wow! They left their place to come here for us, just to share themselves with us,”’ she recalls.

Dorothy said their four years here were the best of their lives, despite New Britain’s difficulties — of supplies, transportation, the surprises of local culture.

“Dorothy sometimes had a problem registering children, because they would change their names often, just on a whim,” Hargesheimer recalls with a laugh.

But the couple, leaving New Britain in 1974, had less than a dozen more years left together. In 1985, at age 63, Dorothy Hargesheimer died of a heart attack.

The old pilot flew on alone, visiting New Britain every two or three years, funneling fresh funds into his causes, finding ever-warm embraces. On a visit in 2000, they proclaimed him, in a great tribute, “Suara Auru,” “Chief Warrior” in the local Nakanai language.

Then, in 2006, Fred Hargesheimer, at 90, returned for what he said would be his last visit.

Life had changed here since he first walked in the shadow of Mount Ulawan. Grass huts have given way to concrete-block houses, conch shells to cellphones. The men favor slacks over sarongs and all the women wear tops. Blue-eyed cockatoos may still squawk in the forest, but their eucalyptus trees are falling to loggers by the millions.

As he was carried past them in a ceremonial canoe and Nakanai headdress, thousands cheered. “The people were very happy. They’ll always remember what Mr. Fred Hargesheimer has done for our people,” says Ismael Saua, 69, a former teacher at the Airmen’s school.

Mastah Preddi had come back for a special reason: His old P-38 fighter had been found deep in the jungle. He was flown by helicopter up the winding Pandi River, the river he once descended by canoe, and then carried in a chair by Nakanai men to the site, to view what’s left of the plane he bailed out of so long ago.

As usual, he also had business to attend to, dedicating a new library at the Noau school.

The schools had an enrollment of some 500, and a list of well-educated alumni numbering many hundreds more, including Garua Peni. She had gone on to an advanced degree in linguistics in Australia and now was taking over Hargesheimer’s New Guinea foundation as chairperson.

He may have taken a step back, but his heart was still in New Britain. And the love they returned at times seemed almost mystical. At one point, in the 1960s, he was told villagers planned to send the late Luluai Lauo’s bones to him in Minnesota, a trust he solemnly declined.

———

As he looks back from his Grass Valley, Calif., retirement home, Hargesheimer says he often mused over the word “if.” Why, for example, didn’t the Japanese pilot finish him off as he floated helplessly down beneath his parachute?

In 1999 he got an answer. With the help of World War II history buffs, he located Mitsugu Hyakutomi of Yamaguchi, Japan, the pilot who records show downed his P-38. He was suffering from Alzheimer’s disease but his wife recounted by mail that her husband had said he could never shoot such defenseless enemy flyers.

“The Japanese pilot gave me the opportunity to get involved in something worthwhile, and for that I’m ever grateful,” he says.

This modest man says he has many people to thank as he draws nearer the end of a long, perilous, challenging road from 1943. “These people were responsible for saving my life. How could I ever repay it?”

It came down to that, and perhaps to the psalmist’s words of gratitude, “My cup runneth over.”

“I wasn’t a millionaire,” says Mastah Preddi. “But I was very rich.”

Fred Hargesheimer, at age 90 in July 2006, is carried by New Britain islanders to the wreckage of his World War II plane deep in the jungle on New Britain Island Papua New Guinea.

First Lt. Fred Hargesheimer, right, was photographed in late 1943 or early 1944 at a secret Australian commando camp on Japanese-occupied New Britain island, Papua New Guinea, with Australian wing commander William Townsend. Their planes had been shot down, and Hargesheimer was rescued and sheltered by islanders.

I usually don't post novels like this, but I thought it was one hell of a read.

-b0b
(...enjoyed it thoroughly.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1592 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 12:15pm

That was awesome.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1593 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 3:19pm

Government admits that vaccines might be linked to autism.  Hmm I just read an article the other week with the media and others saying people that there is absolutely no link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2WVbXEFWY&eurl=http://www.infowars.com/?p=705

Shoot even the guy at the end of this video claims these claims are bunk.  He should have listened to the story that was on before he opened his big, fat mouth.

X
(Would have put this in the Cry Freedom thread...but it has disappeared)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1594 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 4:24pm

Pat is right.  The government stole our thread!

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1595 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 3:52pm

It's only Wednesday and I'm already prepared to nominate this article as the craziest story of the week!

Quote:
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337232,00.html

WICHITA, Kan. — Deputies say a woman in western Kansas became stuck on her boyfriend's toilet after sitting on it for two years.

Ness County Sheriff Bryan Whipple said it appeared the 35-year-old Ness City woman's skin had grown around the seat. She initially refused emergency medical services but was finally convinced by responders and her boyfriend that she needed to be checked out at a hospital.

"We pried the toilet seat off with a pry bar and the seat went with her to the hospital," Whipple said. "The hospital removed it."

Whipple said investigators planned to present their report Wednesday to the county attorney, who will determine whether any charges should be filed against the woman's 36-year-old boyfriend.

"She was not glued. She was not tied. She was just physically stuck by her body," Whipple said. "It is hard to imagine. ... I still have a hard time imagining it myself."

He told investigators he brought his girlfriend food and water, and asked her every day to come out of the bathroom.

"And her reply would be, `Maybe tomorrow,"' Whipple said. "According to him, she did not want to leave the bathroom."

The boyfriend called police on Feb. 27 to report that "there was something wrong with his girlfriend," Whipple said, adding that he never explained why it took him two years to call.

Police found the clothed woman sitting on the toilet, her sweat pants down to her mid-thigh. She was "somewhat disoriented," and her legs looked like they had atrophied, Whipple said.

"She said that she didn't need any help, that she was OK and did not want to leave," he said.

She was taken to a hospital in Wichita, about 150 miles southeast of Ness City. Whipple said she has refused to cooperate with medical providers or law enforcement investigators.

Authorities said they did not know if she was mentally or physically disabled.

Police have declined to release the couple's names, but the house where authorities say the incident happened is listed in public records as the residence of Kory McFarren. No one answered his home phone number.

The case has been the buzz Ness City, said James Ellis, a neighbor.

"I don't think anybody can make any sense out of it," he said.

Ellis said he had known the woman since she was a child but that he had not seen her for at least six years.

He said she had a tough childhood after her mother died at a young age and apparently was usually kept inside the house as she grew up. At one time the woman worked for a long-term care facility, he said, but he did not know what kind of work she did there.

"It really doesn't surprise me," Ellis said of the bathroom incident. "What surprises me is somebody wasn't called in a bit earlier."

I can't even get through a decent magazine article on the crapper without my legs going numb.  I hope her toilet seat was comfortable!

-b0b
(...weird!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1596 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 3:39pm

Quote:
2 boys accused of trying to rob 2 workers inside PSL police station
By Will Greenlee

PORT ST. LUCIE — In a spectacular case of poor planning, two boys on Wednesday tried to rob two civilian employees inside the western regional police station, a police spokesman said Thursday.

The youths, ages 12 and 14, summarily were taken into custody at gunpoint by several officers who were there taking a defensive tactics course, said Officer Robert Vega, police spokesman.

The incident happened about 4:30 p.m. at the Rosser Boulevard station after the boys strolled in.

The 12-year-old sauntered to the records counter and then proceeded to another counter where he picked up a phone to talk to a service aid behind a protective window, demanding her cash.

“Not only did he pick up the phone and say, 'Put your hands up and give me your money,' he had his hand in his jacket insinuating that he had a gun,” Vega said.

The boys each face an attempted armed robbery charge.

"They were either very brazen or very dumb, but I think the latter," Vega said.

Although only the 12-year-old demanded money, the other boy also is being charged in connection with the incident because he "knew what was going to happen."

"He was a willing participant in the entire event," Vega said.

The 14-year-old also faces a violation of probation charge.

That much concentrated stupidity should be fatal.

-b0b
(...wow.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1597 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 3:49pm

I would have tazed them both just for lulz.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1598 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 3:51pm

Tear gas for fun and profit!

-b0b
(...because gas and a match is too expensive these days.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1599 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 11:59am

Quote:
World's worst school run ends

The world's worst school run - a terrifying cable crossing over a raging torrent - has been consigned to history.

The crossing, on the most dangerous part of China's Nujiang River, has been replaced by a new 170m bridge.

It means the 500 children of Maji village in Fugong town, Yunnan province, no longer have to slide and haul themselves along a 200m cable twice a day.

Money was raised to build the bridge after the school crossing was featured on Chinese TV in a programme entitled The Most Dangerous School Run.

Thanks to donations totalling £25,000, the bridge was built in three months, reports Spring City Evening Post.

"We've named the bridge the love bridge, because love is what built it," said the village head at the opening ceremony.

"Our kids no longer need to risk their lives to go to school," added another joyful villager.

The children, some as young as four, previously fastened themselves to the cable with a metal carabiner and a rope to slide across the 200 metre wide canyon.

If nothing else, the old method would've been a good motivator for them to work hard at school so they could get out of their hellhole of a country.

-b0b
(...wow!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1600 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 8:48am

Quote:
LAKE HALLIE, Wis., March 18 (UPI) -- Authorities say an elderly Wisconsin man apparently drowned after falling head first into his septic tank.

Chippewa Fire District Deputy Chief John Andersen said Richard V. Powell, 82, of Lake Hallie, fell head first while working on the tank Monday and was underwater for 35-55 minutes, WEAU-TV, Eau Claire, Wis., reported Tuesday.

His wife discovered him and called emergency responders, the station reported.

Rescue crews had a hard time getting Powell out because he was stuck in a cross pipe with only his lower legs and feet outside the tank. He was pronounced dead at a Chippewa Falls hospital.

Andersen told WEAU-TV eight to 12 people die every year in septic tanks in Wisconsin.

That stinks.  What a crappy way to die!

-b0b
(...ba dum bump!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1601 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 1:41pm

Quote:
Kilpatrick, Beatty face felony charges
12-count indictment charges perjury, misconduct and obstruction

By DAVID ASHENFELTER and JOE SWICKARD • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS • March 24, 2008

* Print this page
    * E-mail this article

* Share this article:
    * Del.icio.us
    * Facebook
    * Digg
    * Reddit
    * Newsvine
    * What’s this?

UPDATED AT 12:55 P.M.: Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and former chief of staff Christine Beatty were charged today in a 12-county indictment with perjury, obstruction of justice, misconduct in office and conspiracy because of their conduct in last year’s police whistle-blower trial, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced.
Advertisement

Kilpatrick is charged with eight felonies and Beatty with seven. They are: perjury, conspiracy to obstruct justice, obstruction of justice and misconduct in office.

Worthy said the perjury charges accuse the two of lying during a whistle-blower lawsuit about the firing of Deputy Police Chief Gary Brown and about their romantic relationship.

Kilpatrick, 38, serving his seventh year in office, is the first Detroit mayor to face criminal charges while still in office. The perjury charge carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.

"Lying cannot be tolerated, even if a judge and jury can see through it and doesn’t buy the line,” Worthy said at a packed news conference.

“Witnesses must give truthful testimony,” she added. “Oaths mean something.”

Right after Worthy's announcement, the mayor's office sent out a news release saying he and his attorney will hold a news conference at noon to respond. But at 12:45 p.m., they still had not appeared.

The mayor is expected to be arraigned at 5 p.m. today in 36th District Court in Detroit. It wasn't clear when Beatty will turn herself in, but she must do so before 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Worthy declined to say whether she thinks the mayor should step down. Beatty resigned on Feb. 8.

During her news conference, Worthy said city lawyers had tried to erect barriers to her investigation, forcing prosecutors to go to court to try to obtain documents. She said investigators are still trying to obtain documents for the investigation, which will continue.

“At every bend and turn, there have been attempts by the city through one lawyer or another to block aspects of our investigation,” Worthy said. “Some documents have been turned over, but we have been told that others have been destroyed or lost. We don’t know when or by whom.”

She said the investigation wasn’t about sex, but about destroying the lives and careers of three good cops.

“Gary Brown’s, Harold Nelthrope's and Walter Harris’ lives and careers were forever changed,” Worthy said. “They were ruined financially and their reputations were completely destroyed because they chose to be dutiful police officers.”

She added: "Our investigation has clearly shown that public dollars were used, people's lives were ruined, the justice system severely mocked and the public trust trampled on."

Worthy said she had discussed the investigation with U.S. Attorney Stephen Murphy, but declined to say what they discussed. Murphy declined today to comment on Worthy’s statement. The FBI is monitoring the investigation, according to people familiar with the case.

She said her staff had reviewed more than 40,000 pages of documents and interviewed many witnesses. She said her investigation had led to other possible defendants whom she didn’t identify. Worthy said her team of prosecutors on the case includes Lisa Lindsey, Robert Moran, Athina Siringas, Robert Spada and Timothy Baughman.

Worthy's investigation began after the Free Press uncovered text messages that showed a romantic relationship between Kilpatrick and Beatty -- a relationship both had denied under oath during a police whistle-blower lawsuit last summer. The pair also gave misleading testimony about the firing of Brown, the messages show.

Kilpatrick authorized a settlement in that case to pay the former officers $8.4 million.

Despite the false testimony, a Wayne County Circuit Court jury last September awarded Brown and Nelthrope $6.5 million in damages. Kilpatrick vowed to appeal, but on Oct. 17, abruptly decided to settle the case and a second police whistle-blower suit involving former mayoral bodyguard Walt Harris for $8.4 million – $9 million with legal costs.

Kilpatrick settled after the cops’ lawyer, Mike Stefani, informed the mayor’s lawyer that he had the incriminating text messages and would reveal them in court papers he planned to file to justify his request for legal fees in the whistle-blower case.

Although Kilpatrick apologized for his conduct in a televised appearance with his wife, Carlita, in late January, he has blamed the media for his troubles and rejected calls from the City Council, Attorney General Mike Cox and city union locals to resign.

Settlement documents the Free Press obtained last month through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the city show that – contrary to Kilpatrick’s claim that he decided to settle based on advice from friends, advisers and ordinary citizens – he made peace with the cops after discovering that Stefani had the text messages.

Although Kilpatrick’s lawyers settled the suit with one agreement on Oct. 17, they decided to split it into public and private settlements after the Free Press requested a copy.

The public agreement showed how much the former cops would be paid. The secret agreement, signed by Kilpatrick and Beatty, swore Brown, Nelthrope and Stefani to secrecy about the text messages under threat of forfeiting their settlement proceeds and legal fees.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Robert Colombo Jr. released the secret agreement last month after the Kilpatrick administration repeatedly denied its existence. Colombo released the agreement and other secret settlement records after the administration appealed unsuccessfully to the Michigan Court of Appeals and state Supreme Court, which rejected Kilpatrick’s claim that the documents weren’t public documents.

The City Council, which was kept in the dark about Kilpatrick’s reasons for settling the lawsuit and never saw the confidential side agreement, voted 7-1 last week to pass an advisory resolution calling for the mayor to resign. It also ordered an investigation of the episode and directed its auditor general to look into spending by the mayor’s office and the city Law Department.

Kilpatrick went on television with his wife in late January and apologized for his conduct, he insists there was no cover-up and has blamed the news media for most of his problems. He accused the Free Press of illegally obtaining the text messages – which the newspaper denies– and accusing the media of conducting a public lynching. He said the text messages and the settlement agreement that concealed them should never have been made public.

He also said the text messages were private even though he signed a policy directive in June 2000 advising city employees that all electronic communications should be considered public.

So far, Kilpatrick has refused to step down, saying he is on a divinely-inspired mission to help rebuild the city. But conviction of a felony would force him to resign.

The scandal is the latest to confront Kilpatrick, a gifted politician who became the youngest mayor in Detroit history when he was elected in 2001 after serving in the state Legislature.

But his six-year tenure as mayor has been rocky.

He has been beset by repeated controversies over extravagant spending with his city-issued credit card, lying publicly about ordering the police department to lease a Lincoln Navigator for his wife and battening down information hatches at City Hall, making it more difficult for reporters and the public to inquire about his activities.

Besides criminal charges, the text messaging scandal and how city-paid lawyers responded to it could result in professional misconduct charges from the Michigan Attorney Grievance Commission.

Defense lawyers are expected to attack the authenticity of the text messages, demanding that prosecutors prove Kilpatrick and Beatty sent them and that they had an affair.

Two previous Detroit mayors have been charged with felonies, both after leaving office.

Mayor Richard Reading, mayor in 1938-40, was sentenced to 4-1/2 to 5 years in prison after being charged with conspiring with 80 policemen to protect Detroit’s numbers racket. Mayor Louis Miriani, mayor from 1957-62, was sentenced to one year in prison for income tax evasion after leaving office.

It's about time!

-b0b
(...thought the DA wouldn't have the guts.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1602 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 1:44pm

/race card

/case closed

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1603 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 1:50pm

He may be running out of race cards.  He's played a full deck of 'em already.

-b0b
(...has strong Wiki-fu.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1604 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 2:01pm

Now all that is left...are the jokers!