Random Stupidity (Read 436580 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #1560 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 9:41am

Cover charge?

I use my 1337 skillz to find pr0n for free on the interweb!

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1561 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 12:21pm

Quote:
Senate mandates weighing Georgia kids twice a year
New law would requires schools to track weight and BMI

By ANDREA JONES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/29/08

Georgia's elementary school children will be weighed and measured twice a year by school officials under a bill that passed the Senate Friday.

The legislation requires schools to track kids' body mass index, a combination of height and weight used to determine whether the child is healthy. The bill, sponsored by Sen. Joseph Carter (R-Tifton) requires that schools post the aggregate BMI information on their Web sites and follow state regulations on offering physical education classes.

Carter said the bill would work much like test scores, with schools reporting their data so parents could check out how they measure up to other area schools. Children would be weighed in a confidential office setting and their personal data would not become public, he said.

"Sally, step into the office, step up on the scale, that's about as invasive as it gets," he said. More than one in three kids in Georgia is overweight, he said. "The presence of childhood obesity is staggering."

Arkansas was the first state to implement such a rule, in 2003. The bill, which mirrors legislation in several other states, passed 37 to 13 after a heated debate.

Sen. Preston Smith (R-Rome) said "the long arm of the government" should stop reaching into peoples' private lives.

He said worries that schools' will pressure children to lose weight and stigmatize them, mimicking what he worried school officials would say: "Come on, pick it up fat kid, we're not going to get money if you don't!""

As he left the podium, refusing to engage in a debate, Sen. Renee Unterman (R-Buford) who supports the bill, shouted "chicken!" at him.

It's not the first time lawmakers have tried to take up childhood obesity. Carter introduced a bill in 2006 that would have required more PE for Georgia elementary and middle schoolers, but the measure failed.

Shouldn't Georgia be more concerned about teaching their kids to read and thus bring their state into the top 25 states for literacy rather than making kids conform to a media induced "correct" body type?  Ok so they weigh the kids...will the next laws force the kids to loose weight?  I'm all for having schools have gym and get kids to work out...but do we really need more laws to tell us that?  Is GA next going to write a law making the drinking of poison illegal?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1562 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 4:06pm

It's Georgia, what do you expect?

-b0b
(...freakin' Georgia.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1563 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 2:28pm

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/march2008/030308Cameraman.htm

Just one of the many reasons why the mayor and the rest of Detroit needs to be burned to ashes, the waters rise up, and carry the ashes to the sea.

X

agentx216  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1564 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 2:44pm

Everyone knows that if someone catches you on camera it will steal your soul.

Do you want your soul stolen? ...HUH, do ya?

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1565 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 3:46pm

That's why I keep my soul in a safety deposit box.

-b0b
(...misplaced the key awhile back.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1566 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 4:55pm

Do you keep it next to corys dignity?

Sorry cory I had to go there.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1567 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 10:14pm

No, I keep Corey's dignity under my pillow.  He's been trying to steal it back for years, so I keep it close by in case he tries to Ninja it from me in the middle of the night.

-b0b
(...used Ninja as a verb.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1568 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 11:47am

Quote:
Researcher: Moses was tripping at Mount Sinai
By Ofri Ilani

"And all the people perceived the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the voice of the horn, and the mountain smoking." Thus the book of Exodus describes the impressive moment of the giving of the Torah on Mount Sinai.

The "perceiving of the voices" has been interpreted endlessly since these words were first written. When Professor Benny Shanon, professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, reads the verse, he recalls a powerful hallucinatory experience he had when he visited the Amazon and drank a potion made from a plant called ayahuasca.
     Advertisement

"One of the things that happens when you drink the potion is a visual experience created via sounds," he says.

Shanon presents a provocative theory in an article published this week in the philosophy journal Time and Mind. The religious ceremonies of the Israelites included the use of psychotropic materials that can found in the Negev and Sinai, he says. "I have no direct proof of this interpretation," and such proof cannot be expected, he says. However, "it seems logical that something was altered in people's consciousness. There are other stories in the Bible that mention the use of plants: for example, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the Garden of Eden."

Shanon, former head of the Hebrew University psychology department, said his first experience with ayahuasca was in 1991 when he was invited to a religious ceremony in the northern Amazon in 1991 in Brazil. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," he says. Since that time, he has used it hundreds of times, and has published a book about the plant.

"Hypotheses have been around for 20 years connecting the beginning of religions with psychoactive materials," Shanon says. He believes the Israelites used two plants in Sinai and the Negev: one of them is wild rue, a hallucinogen used by the Bedoin to this day. However this plant is not identified with any plant mentioned in the Bible.

The acacia tree also has psychedelic properties, Shanon says, which the Israelites could have used. The acacia is mentioned frequently in the Bible, and was the type of wood of which the Ark of the Covenant was made. According to Shanon, he drank a potion prepared from a species of acacia while he was in South America, which caused similar experiences to those produced by the ayahuasca.

Shanon also sees signs of a hallucinogenic vision in the story of the burning bush.

"Moses 'looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed,'" Shanon quotes from Exodus 3:2. Time passes differently when under the influence of the plant, he notes. "That's why Moses thought the bush was not consumed. It should have been burned in the time he thought had passed. And in that time, he heard God speaking to him."

"But not everyone who uses a plant like this brings the Torah," Shanon concedes. "For that, you have to be Moses."

I love how you can make any claim you want and it makes the news.  How come though it only seems like anything made to try to explain anything in The Bible gets ink?  Jesus didn't really die he just fell asleep on the cross after being beaten and nails shoved into his hands and feet and being hung from a cross for hours.  Moses didn't really part the Red Sea, he and the Jews only got lucky cause at that precise moment the sands rose up and the water receded and when the Egyptians came the sand went away.

So when this theory comes out I have to wonder just what makes this a news story and even remotely science.  Sure you can have a theory.  Like I could say that an all powerful Being is the "thing" that spoke to Moses.  Mine is actually backed up with more proof than this hack does.  Why doesn't the media report on "Supreme Being Spoke To Moses...details at 11!"?

X

agentx216  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1569 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 2:12pm

That's just retarded.  That entire article is made of fail.

-b0b
(...lame.)

FailGirl.jpg (58 KB | )
FailGirl.jpg

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1570 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 2:50pm

Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons and father of adventure roleplaying games, has passed away.   Cry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

Quote:
On March 4th, the Associated Press confirmed reports of Gygax's passing that originally were made by Troll Lord Games, a small role playing game company Gygax had been working with.[3][4] He had been in poor health, suffering multiple strokes and a near-heart attack.

-b0b
(...will drink a Jolt in his honor this weekend.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1571 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 3:14pm

We need to get a D&D game going.

I should be back up there sometime...

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1572 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 3:23pm

Thanks, that really narrows it down.

I'd love to get my D&D on.  Just give me some advance notice and I'll make it happen.

-b0b
(...w00t!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1573 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 3:27pm

Come on bob.  Can't you set up a webcam and a teamspeak server and lets get the game on!

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1574 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 3:29pm

Sorry, my web cam is in your mom's bedroom broken.

-b0b
(...thinks it's funny because it's true.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 152
Send Topic Print