b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #1455 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 1:54am

This is one of the quirkiest Microsoft marketing items I've ever come across.  It's a mock children's book to introduce tots to the Windows Home Server...

http://www.stayathomeserver.com/book.aspx

It's nice to see that Microsoft is developing a sense of humor!  If I didn't already own an enterprise server, I'd take a big look at Home Server!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1456 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 10:42am

Quote:
Michigan Cops: Drunk Man Runs Out of Wine, Drives Lawn Mower in Snowstorm to Buy More
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:
DiggFacebookStumbleUpon
ADRIAN, Mich. — A man was charged with drunken driving after going through two bottles of wine, cutting through a snowstorm on his lawn mower and riding down the center of the street to reach a liquor store, authorities said.

Police found Frank Kozumplik, 49, homeward bound on a John Deere tractor Saturday night, toting four bottles of wine in a paper bag, officials said.

He told officers that his wife had taken their car to work, and that the mower was the only way he could reach the store, two miles from home.

His blood alcohol level was 2 1/2 times Michigan's legal driving limit of 0.08 percent, police told WLEN-FM. They arrested him and confiscated the mower.

Kozumplik declined to comment Monday night.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326227,00.html

Bahaha, only in Michigan!

-b0b
(...bets Spanky wished he still lived here.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1457 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 11:00am

HAHA, I wouldn't move back to MI for 100 drunk lawnmower drivers!

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #1458 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 11:20am

Ohio is that much better?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1459 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 12:00pm

Belive me when I say I will most likely never live in Michigan again.

Ohio is great.  Not only with my new job but I see things all over about companies looking for workers.  It is very different down here.

On a side note, I found this.

I am hoping for number 8.  But with wes' mom around it is probably going to be number 5.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1460 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:23am

OK, I need a place to rant.

Duke Energy is who I get my gas and electric services through.  Well since I have moved down here I have been averaging $35-45 a month in usage.  I keep my apartment pretty cold to save money.

Now on to this months bill which was $128.73.  Now I thought that was strange because it showed I used the same amount of electricity and gas as last month.  So trying to be as understanding as possible I call in and ask what the hell is up.  Their answer, "Well we weren't able to get someone out this month to read your meter so we estimated your bill based on the size of your residence, how many people live there, and the outside temperature."

After hearing this I was a little less than happy because their solution was pay it now and if I use less it will be credited on my account.  And after going through managers and supervisors not one person thought that there was anything wrong with this and in the end they just hung up on me.

Now I know why they hung up on me, probably the line, "listen bitch, if you are too fucking busy to come out and read my meter you are too fucking busy to send me a God damned bill."  But what do you guys think?  Should I just pay it and trust them to credit the whole thing or burn the place to the ground?

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1461 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:38am

Well if you're thinking about taking legal action it is always best to pay the bill because if you loose (or nothing happens) you will be charged all the late fees and everything.  Now there are a number of options you can choose from and I would do them in this order (this is just my suggestions):

1) Talk to your landlord and see if there is something you can do and if they've had this problem before.  Maybe they can offer a solution or force the company to come out and read the meter.

2) Try calling Duke Energy again and demand they send someone out right now and every month to check your meter.

3) Talk to the Better Business Bureau - http://www.bbbonline.org/consumer/complaint.asp .  I will also submit what you wrote to Consumerist.com and see if they have any suggestion.

4) See what kind of legal action you can take.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1462 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:52am

Well no legal action for now.  I am saving all my past bills now and this time I payed with a check to have a hard copy instead of my debit card.  Just incase I get the old "What do you mean?  You never had any credit."

I tried to draw a hand giving the middle finger on the check in the comments section, it didn't quite convey how I really felt though.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1463 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:56am

That seems pretty shady, Spanky.  Although I've never had a combined electricity/gas account, the companies I've worked with have always estimated a non-metered bill based on past usage.  In other words, your bill should be around $40 if past bills have been near that mark.  Your next metered bill would either credit you for your overcharge (if you used less than $40 worth) or tack on the fee for the undercharge (if you used more than $40 worth).

Unfortunately, you probably don't have much of a fighting stance.  Even as shady as their non-meter billing practice is, it's almost guaranteed to be written in their service agreement.

It's really crappy that they won't work with you on this.  If you pay the full amount, it's going to take you two months worth of credits to get your money back.  Of course, I can pretty much guarantee they won't cut you a check for the difference.  I've been there and done that with other utility companies in the past...

-b0b
(...roffled at your last quip.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1464 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:57am

spanky wrote on Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:52am:
I tried to draw a hand giving the middle finger on the check in the comments section, it didn't quite convey how I really felt though.

If I ever feel violated when I have to pay a bill, I write "sexual favors" in the memo line.

-b0b
(...hasn't had to do that in awhile.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1465 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 9:07am

I found out that most State AG's have a Department of Consumer Protection.

Here's yours - http://www.ag.state.oh.us/citizen/consumer/index.asp

Maybe writing to them will get you some action taken.

Bob...I like that idea of the memo line he he.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Detroit
Reply #1466 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 10:01am

yep they did that for me last month too... The bill will say EST next to the gas or something. I just paid a few bucks over what I normally do to cover it because they were about 60 over.

DTE's policy when they don't read the meter is that they take the usage from the year before and plug it in to your bill.  It's very lame.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1467 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 12:46pm

On my way to lunch, I heard a report on the radio that China had rejected a shipment of lead.

Chinese officials complained because it contained traces of toys.

-b0b
(...will be here all week, folks.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1468 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 1:13pm

Speaking of lead.  Any of you ever been to a steel mill where they dropped a cold charge into the furnace?  It sounded like a bomb going off and shot liquid metal drops everywhere.  It was a gay ol' time.

And by gay I don't mean bob, I mean it scared the living crap out of me and I am pretty sure I pooped a little.

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1469 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 3:39pm

Was this "cold charge" an accident, or was it part of normal operating procedures?

-b0b
(...thinks molten plastic sucks bad enough, let alone molten metal.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 152
Send Topic Print