Random Stupidity (Read 436629 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #1215 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 1:28pm

This calls for a ban on guns, axes, knives, and deodorant in Canada!

Wait...won't that make them Mexico?!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne
agentx216  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1216 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 1:46pm

Yes, but they'd speak Freaky Deeky French instead of Spanish.

-b0b
(...thinks he might actually prefer that.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1217 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 2:07pm

I would much rather trust a guy who speaks Spanish than a guy who holds his cigarette with his thumb and pointer finger and who mocks me while driving women crazy with accent!

X

agentx216  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1218 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 3:32pm

I wouldn't trust a spanish guy with my pens...because most all of them were stolen!

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1219 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 4:57pm

I can't tell you how badly I want to modify your post and change "pens" to "penis."

-b0b
(...can't bring himself to do it, though.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Detroit-ish
Reply #1220 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 5:21pm

I actually figured you would...

spankenator3710  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1221 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 4:23pm

Quote:
www.polecataerospace.com/X-Wing.htm

Andy Woerner and his crazy rocketeer friends have built a 21-foot long X-Wing model that can actually fly. Yes, this is a real X-Wing powered by four solid-fuel rocket engines complete with radio-controlled moving wings. It blasts off in California next week, and we talked with Andy about the project, and how they expect it will do.

The X-Wing model is huge. At 21 feet long and with a wingspan of over 19 feet it is, in fact, big enough to fly a kid in. However, knowing that it will be powered by solid-fuel rockets, they wouldn't put a kid, dog, monkey or Gizmodo editor inside, even if it uses three full parachutes to land.

After drawing the plans using CAD software, Andy's team and his friends at Polecat Aerospace used laser cutting to make the pieces out of Baltic Birch wood. They also used solid aluminum for some parts, like the rods which are the pivot point for the wings.

Why solid aluminum rods? For the most impressive part of the project to work, not only does the axis have to be strong enough to support the stress of the launch but also it has to allow the wings to change position from folded to open while in flight—or, in the words of Red Leader, putting them in attack position, the X that gives the Rebel aircraft its name.

The wings, including the root sections and the outer panels are about 8' long and weigh 60 pounds a piece, including the motors. The motion mechanism had to be able to move all four of these simultaneously, while keeping them in position relative to each other. Additionally, the motion hardware had to be strong enough to keep the wings in position once they were at the extents of their travel.

They used an electric motor from a RC helicopter, reducing its 40,000 revolutions per minute to generate enough torque to move those massive wings. Still, the wings will take 35 seconds to travel from open to closed. Hopefully, they will be able to change before the flight ends, so they can get the full effect in the air.

The wings also hold the engines. Andy told us they are using "four solid rocket motors which are Class M, the kind that produce a red flame"—which as you probably know, it's also the same color of the X-Wing engines' glow.

Even with the aluminum rods, however, there's the possibility of structural damage. We asked Andy about how he expected the flight to go: "it's likely we will have a structural failure in the wings, but we are hoping it will hold."

If it holds, the X-Wing will be fully recoverable. It won't land on its own, but Andy pointed out that they "will use parachute recovery, with three man-rated chutes which will have radio control deployment," like the wings position control.

When I first learnt about the project there was one thing that didn't click for me: why the X-Wing? It doesn't seem to have the right shape to be a rocket. Maybe a better option would have been an Y-Wing or A-Wing. But an X-Wing? Well, according to Andy, "it was the one design from Star Wars that made the most sense to try to scale for rocket power." And on top of that, it just looks cool. I completely agree.

The X-Wing will launch next week, on October 10, and we can only wish the project the best of luck. Godspeed Andy and friends, godspeed.

That's pretty freakin' cool, if you ask me!  Of course, it won't really "fly" since the wings aren't going to provide any lift, but that's beside the point!

-b0b
(...thinks they need to do a 1:1 scale model of the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E next.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1222 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 8:30am

Quote:
Artists Built Secret Apartment in Mall
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The leader of an artists' cooperative has been sentenced to probation for setting up a secret apartment inside a shopping mall's parking garage as part of a project on mall life.

Michael Townsend, 36, said he and seven other artists built the 750-square-foot apartment beginning in 2003 and lived there for up to three weeks at a time.

The artists built a cinderblock wall and nondescript utility door to keep the loft hidden from the outside world.

But inside, the apartment was fully furnished, down to a hutch filled with china and a Sony Playstation 2 — although a burglar broke in and stole the Playstation last spring, Townsend said.

There was no running water — instead they used the mall bathrooms.

On his Web site, Townsend said he was inspired by a Christmastime ad for the mall which featured a "an enthusiastic female voice talking about how great it would be if you (we) could live at the mall."

He built the dwelling "out of a compassion to understand the mall more and life as a shopper."

Townsend said plans to make the apartment "super-sweet" with laminated wood flooring and other perks fell apart last week after he and a visiting artist from Hong Kong walked into the room and were greeted by three security guards. He pleaded no contest to a trespassing charge.

Providence Place Mall spokesman Dante Bellini Jr. described the living space as little more than "an area with stuff in it."

But Providence Police Maj. Stephen Campbell said he and other detectives were so intrigued they visited the apartment to see for themselves.

"I was surprised at what he was able to accomplish," Campbell said. "But what he did was clearly criminal. The mall is private property."

Although trespassing isn't cool, that's got to be one of the craziest stunts I've ever seen.

More pictures here:  http://www.trummerkind.com/mall/Living_in_the_Mall.html

-b0b
(...neat-o.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1223 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 4:06pm

Quote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/04/national/main3330186.shtml

Woman Faces The Music, Loses Download Case
Jury Finds Minn. Woman Violated Copyright Law, Orders Her To Pay Record Companies $220K

DULUTH, Minn., Oct. 4, 2007

Jammie Thomas of Brainerd, Minn. walks out of the U.S. District Court in Duluth, Minn., Oct. 2, 2007, after jury selection on the first day of her civil trial for alleged music pirating through illegal sharing of song files. (AP Photo/Julia Cheng)

(AP) The recording industry won a key fight Thursday against illegal music downloading when a federal jury found a Minnesota woman shared copyrighted music online and levied $222,000 in damages against her.

Jurors ordered Jammie Thomas, 30, to pay the six record companies that sued her $9,250 for each of 24 songs they focused on in the case. They had alleged she shared 1,702 songs online in violation of their copyrights.

Thomas and her attorney, Brian Toder, declined comment as they left the courthouse. Jurors also left without commenting.

"This does send a message, I hope, that downloading and distributing our recordings is not OK," said Richard Gabriel, the lead attorney for the music companies.

In the first such lawsuit to go to trial, six record companies accused Thomas of downloading the songs without permission and offering them online through a Kazaa file-sharing account. Thomas denied wrongdoing and testified that she didn't have a Kazaa account.

Record companies have filed some 26,000 lawsuits since 2003 over file-sharing, which has hurt sales because it allows people to get music for free instead of paying for recordings in stores. Many other defendants have settled by paying the companies a few thousand dollars.

We think we're in for a long haul in terms of establishing that music has value, that music is property, and that property has to be respected.
Cathy Sherman, RIAA President
The RIAA says the lawsuits have mitigated illegal sharing, even though music file-sharing is rising overall. The group says the number of households that have used file-sharing programs to download music has risen from 6.9 million monthly in April 2003, before the lawsuits began, to 7.8 million in March 2007.

During the three-day trial, record companies presented evidence they said showed the copyrighted songs were offered by a Kazaa user under the name "tereastarr." Their witnesses, including officials from an Internet provider and a security firm, testified that the Internet address used by "tereastarr" belonged to Thomas.

Toder had argued at closing that record companies never proved that "Jammie Thomas, a human being, got on her keyboard and sent out these things."

"We don't know what happened," Toder told jurors. "All we know is that Jammie Thomas didn't do this."

Gabriel called that defense "misdirection, red herrings, smoke and mirrors."

He told jurors a verdict against Thomas would send a message to other illegal downloaders.

"I only ask that you consider that the need for deterrence here is great," he said.

Copyright law sets a damage range of $750 to $30,000 per infringement, or up to $150,000 if the violation was "willful." Jurors ruled that Thomas' infringement was willful, but awarded damages in a middle range.

Before the verdict, an official with an industry trade group said he was surprised it had taken so long for one of the industry's lawsuits against individual downloaders to come to trial.

Illegal downloads have "become business as usual, nobody really thinks about it," said Cary Sherman, president of the Recording Industry Association of America, which coordinates the lawsuits. "This case has put it back in the news. Win or lose, people will understand that we are out there trying to protect our rights."

Thomas' testimony was complicated by the fact that she had replaced her computer's hard drive after the sharing was alleged to have taken place - and later than she said in a deposition before trial.

The hard drive in question was not presented at trial by either party, though Thomas used her new one to show the jury how fast it copies songs from CDs. That was an effort to counter an industry witness's assertion that the songs on the old drive got their too fast to have come from CDs she owned - and therefore must have been downloaded illegally.

Record companies said Thomas was sent an instant message in February 2005, warning her that she was violating copyright law. Her hard drive was replaced the following month, not in 2004, as she said in the deposition.

The record companies involved in the lawsuit are Sony BMG, Arista Records LLC, Interscope Records, UMG Recordings Inc., Capitol Records Inc. and Warner Bros. Records Inc.

Ooh, fail.

In response, I think I'm going to download a gig of mp3's.  Who is with me?

-b0b
(...well, at least an album or two.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1224 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 4:17pm

That would mean I'd have to find a group today that doesn't suck....hmm sorry can't do it.

Still...FIGHT THE POWER!

X

agentx216  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

Truth Is Treason, In The
Empire Of Lies

Reply #1225 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 9:19pm

I thought this was an entertaining write up.

Quote:
No matter what the question is, Rudy says 9/11

BY HELEN KENNEDY

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, October 7th 2007, 12:56 PM

For Rudy Giuliani, 9/11 is the answer. To almost anything, it seems.

After all, it's why America fell in love with him on that darkest of days, when the mayor was the only person on TV reassuring the nation. It's why he's the Republican front-runner for President.

"For me, every day is an anniversary of Sept. 11," he said in Florida last month.

Giuliani wastes no opportunity to bring up 9/11 on the campaign trail. Sometimes, it looks like a stretch.

Here is "Jeopardy, the Giuliani Edition," where 9/11 is always the answer, but the questions may surprise you:

WHY DID YOU FLIP ON GUN CONTROL?

"There are some major intervening events - Sept. 11 - which cast somewhat of a different light on the Second Amendment."

- Giuliani's September speech to the NRA

WHY DID YOU INTERRUPT THAT SPEECH TO TAKE A CALL FROM JUDI?

"Since Sept. 11, most of the time when we get on a plane we talk to each other and just reaffirm the fact that we love each other"

- September interview with CBN News

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF BUILDING A FENCE ON THE BORDER?

"I support security at the borders. I think security is enormously important in the post-Sept. 11 period. I think we have to know who's coming into this country."

February interview with Fox News

WHAT'S WITH THAT FLAG ON YOUR LAPEL?

"Each time I wear it, it reminds me of Sept. 11."

- July rally in Wilmington, Del.

SHOULD THERE BE FEDERAL FUNDING FOR AIDS DRUGS?

"I don't want to promise you the federal government will take over the role. My general experience has been that the federal government works best when it helps and assists and encourages and sets guidelines on a state-by-state, locality-by-locality basis. It's no different from the way I look at homeland security. Maybe having been mayor of the city, I know that your first defense against terrorist attack is that local police station, or that local firehouse."

- July rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

ARE YOU RELIGIOUS?

"I need God's help for everything, and I probably feel that the most when I'm in crisis and under pressure, like Sept. 11, when I was dealing with prostate cancer, or when I'm trying to explain death to people."

- September interview with CBN News.

HOW ABOUT THOSE DEMOCRATS?

"They do not seem to get the fact that there are people - terrorists in this world, really dangerous people - that want to come here and kill us. That in fact they did come here and kill us."

- May interview with Fox News

SO, UM, WHAT ABOUT YOUR MESSY PERSONAL LIFE?

"You can judge me on my public record. I've had a long one. I've had an intense one. I've been under enormous pressure, took over a city that was the crime capital of America, had to handle the city at the very end, when it was part of the worst attack on America."

- May interview with Fox News

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT WRONG!

$9.11 was the answer a couple of Giuliani volunteers in California came up with as a suggested contribution for a fund- raising party. Giuliani said, "I think they made a mistake."

X

agentx216  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1226 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 8:53am

Quote:
Assault suspect gives police officer ‘wet willie’ following arrest
Tim Hudson E-E County Reporter
October 5, 2007
http://www.examiner-enterprise.com/articles/2007/10/05/news/news203.txt
A Bartlesville man found that giving a police officer a “wet willie” after his arrest Thursday was not such a good idea.

According to court records, Louis Carlos Perales, 38, picked up an additional charge of assault and battery on a police officer after he put his finger in his mouth and then into an officer’s ear.

Perales was already under arrest for threats to kill and public intoxication at the time of the incident.

According to police, officers were dispatched to a residence on the 200 block of N.W. Mistletoe in reference to a domestic assault. Officers were told that the suspect was not currently at the residence but was on his way there.

Officers saw Perales get out of a white SUV and “immediately started crowding” an officer. The report indicates Perales was “loud, belligerent, and uttering a steady stream of profanity towards his wife.” Perales reportedly told his wife “You better be gone when I get out because I’m going to kill you,” in Spanish.

Perales’ wife told police that problems started when her husband was drinking at a party in Caney, Kan. He reportedly began threatening other party guests before going into a rage, pulling her hair and tossing her around. She said that she left Perales at the party. When she learned that another family member was bringing him home, she called police.

Bond was set in the case at $10,000.

Will the defendant please rise.

You are charged with giving the officer a Wet Willie. On that charge, the jury finds the defendant guilty.

You are hereby sentenced to a noogie, two wedgies, and 3 Indian burns. The Indian burns will be served consecutively.

-b0b
(...can't help but to laugh.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1227 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 4:35pm

Quote:
8 From Greenpeace Surrounded in Amazon
By MICHAEL ASTOR, Associated Press Writer
5 hours ago

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Hundreds of loggers and angry residents have surrounded eight Greenpeace members who tried to leave an Amazon town with a scorched tree trunk for an exhibit on global warming, the environmental group said Wednesday.

The activists are holed up in the makeshift headquarters of the federal environmental agency in the town of Castelo dos Sonhos, Greenpeace campaigner Andre Muggiati said. "They are still surrounded and the situation is tense," he said by telephone.

The region in the Amazon state of Para is part of the so-called "arc of destruction," the southern edge of the rain forest that has been devastated by loggers. In 2005, American missionary Dorothy Stang was shot dead in the region during a land dispute.

On Tuesday, the Greenpeace activists tried to haul away a badly burned fallen tree trunk for an exhibit on global warming in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Muggiati said.

He said the federal environmental agency Ibama gave Greenpeace the OK to transport the tree trunk, but the permission was suspended in the wake of the standoff.

The newspaper Jornal Provincia do Tapajos said residents were angry Greenpeace removed the trunk without getting the local community's permission.

"How can Ibama allow Greenpeace to do this type of extraction when they're not even capable of approving our management plans?" community leader Vilson Ketterman told the newspaper. He was referring to plans loggers must file to show their operations meet basic environmental standards.

Management plans and permissions to transport tree trunks are the main tools the Brazilian government uses to control illegal logging in the Amazon.

The region around Castelo dos Sonhos has a long history of tension between the federal government, loggers and environmentalists. Greenpeace is especially unwelcome in the region, where the group has denounced illegal logging done to make way for soybean fields.

Bahahaha!  Suck it, hippies!

-b0b
(...wonders if they'll be tarred and feathered?)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reply #1228 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 2:02pm

Quote:
Deadly Wildfires Force Mass Evacuations in Southern California
Monday , October 22, 2007

This is a developing story. Click "refresh" for updates.

San Diego County on Monday ordered massive evacuations using Qualcomm Stadium to house evacuees as wildfires that had already killed one remained "zero percent contained" and raging out of control.

"Listen to emergency personnel. Lives are what's more important in this particular situation. The property, you can replace it, but you can't replace the lives," said Supervisor Dianne Jacob of the second district in San Diego County, adding "the best thing that all of us, all of you can do today, is make sure you are prepared. This fire could go in any direction."

The flames threatened thousands of Southern California homes as firefighters raced to beat back the blazes that have engulfed the region. Helicopters were unable to drop water over the blazes in San Diego because of the winds.

"It’s basically zero percent contained," said Bill Metcalf, chief of the North County Fire Protection District, which is overseeing the firefighters.

City personnel in San Diego had opened Qualcomm Stadium as a shelter as well as the Del Mar Fairgrounds, San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders said. He asked that residents limit cell phone use as they prepared to evacuate.

"This fire will probably be the worst fire this county has ever seen," San Diego County Sheriff Bill Kolender said.

The fires, which covered swaths of drought-parched land from the high desert to the Pacific Ocean, were being fanned by hot, dry Santa Ana desert winds. Some of the worst damage was in Malibu, where a church, homes and a castle were charred.

"We expect the weather to continue for another couple of days," Metcalf said.

Things worsened early Monday, when several new fires sprouted in San Diego County, adding to about a dozen blazes that already have burned more than 40,000 acres. Though firefighters had been on high alert because forecasters predicted the winds, they admitted Sunday night that they were overwhelmed.

"You do not expect something to stretch our resources to this magnitude," Los Angeles County Fire Inspector Sam Padilla said. "To try and staff something this big, you cannot predict it."

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency late Sunday in seven counties. One person died in a fire near San Diego, which burned more than 14,000 acres — or about 22 square miles — about 70 miles southeast of San Diego, just north of the Mexican border town of Tecate, California Department of Forestry spokesman Matt Streck said.

• VIDEO: Tanya Tucker Describes Fire

Four firefighters and at least 10 others were hospitalized, Streck said. Some of the injured were hikers, and others may be illegal immigrants.

Another blaze devoured more than 5,000 acres in northern San Diego County and forced the evacuation of the community of Ramona, which has a population of about 36,000.

Several structures were burned on the edge of town, and sheriff's deputies called residents to alert them the fire was approaching the city, said San Diego sheriff's Lt. Phil Brust.

"The winds are up. It's very, very dangerous conditions," San Diego County spokeswoman Lesley Kirk said. "Fires are popping up all over the place."

In Malibu, about 700 firefighters worked to protect hundreds of homes in several upscale communities nestled in the hills. About 1,500 people were evacuated and the blaze destroyed a church and several homes, one of them the landmark Castle Kashan, a stately fortress-like home with turrets and arched windows. Chunks of brick fell from the exterior of the burning building overlooking the coast.

No residents or firefighters were injured, Los Angeles County Fire Chief P. Michael Freeman said.

The castle belonged to Lilly Lawrence, the daughter of a former Iranian oil minister. She said she was able to gather a few things before the fire engulfed her home, including some jewelry and memorabilia that included Elvis Presley's Army fatigues.

She didn't seem too worried about losing most of her belongings in the fire.

"My parents taught me not to allow my possessions to posses me," Lawrence told KABC-TV. "So, that's the story. The house is a house."

Winds carried embers across the Pacific Coast Highway, closing the popular road and setting fire to cars and trees in the parking lot of a shopping center where a supermarket, drug store and other shops were damaged.

"This fire is zero percent contained, which means we're at the mercy of the wind," acting Malibu Mayor Pamela Conley Ulich said.

In all, five homes and two commercial buildings had been confirmed lost throughout the Malibu area, Freeman said. Nine more homes were damaged, he said.

The fire is expected to burn for another two to three days, he said. Until the blaze is extinguished, "there will literally be thousands of homes that will be threatened at one time or another," he said.

The fire may have been started by downed power lines, Capt. Mike Brown said.

"This is a conflagration we knew was going to come at some point," Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said at a Malibu press conference Sunday, noting Southern California's ongoing dry spell.

"We were cruising for a bruising. We are very, very lucky as we stand here tonight that the damage has been as limited as it has been."

Bahahaha, they just blew up San Francisco!

-b0b
(...should really be more compassionate.)

WWW JamesRRogers2  
IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #1229 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 4:15pm

being compassionate and california do not go in the same sentence.

ever.

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
WWW caitmccabe  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 152
Send Topic Print