Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 197701 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #1035 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Sent!  I still have the key for One Way Heroics if anyone wants it!

-b0b
(...hasn't played it yet.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1036 - Aug 10th, 2014 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Bob, they didn't come through yet.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1037 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
That's weird, I sent it as a forum PM.  Hook me up with your e-mail address and I'll send it that way.

-b0b
(...bugger!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1038 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Disregard.  Got them in the forum PM.  Thanks again!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1039 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Just to mix things up a bit, let's talk about board games!  Meredith and I attended GenCon last week in Indianapolis and we had an absolute blast.  I had reservations about spending four days in a jam-packed conference center with hordes of potentially unwashed nerds, but it was truly an awesome experience.

We met up with several friends from various parts of the country and spent four days playing games, meeting nerd celebrities, listening to amazing acapella video game choirs, and hanging out with our fellow geeks.  Meredith and I have also gotten addicted to the Nintendo 3DS StreetPass system, in which your "Mii" (avatar) gets swapped with other 3DS systems when you pass by.  You get to use these avatars as temporary assistants in StreetPass games.  Needless to say, GenCon is a StreetPass nirvana!

Highlights of GenCon 2014:
  • True Dungeon - This is essentially a full-sized D&D adventure that you walk through with your party.  There were some really ingenious (and difficult!) puzzles to solve.  Our group did pretty well early on, but we died during the final combat scenario.  If you go to GenCon, True Dungeon is a must!
  • Game Library - You can buy an eight-hour pass to a room with hundreds (thousands?) of board games.  Everything from old-school 80s MouseTrap to the latest and greatest games being released at GenCon.  Pick any game you want, check it out, and go play it!  This is a great way to play games on a "try before you buy" basis.
  • Tracy Hickman's Killer Breakfast - This is a stage show in which Tracy and Laura Hickman (famous authors most commonly associated with books set in the D&D Dragonlance universe) run a crazy D&D-esque game on stage.  They bring up 8-10 random people for ~10 minutes and progress through an absolutely hilarious adventure, ultimately resulting in everyone getting killed and another 8-10 people being brought on stage.  Tracy Hickman is incredibly funny and his improv is top notch.
  • Food Trucks - This is sort of random, but the food trucks at GenCon are insane.  The food is a bit pricy, but you can get just about any meal you can think of (Indian, Mexican, Italian, Mac n' Cheese, etc) and all of it is delicious!

Meredith took a couple of pictures that I'll have to steal from her and post later on.  In the meantime, here's a picture of our GenCon purchases:

Here is a small selection of my favorite games of the Con:

Ortus Regni – The most beautiful game I’ve ever played.  The artwork and quality is absolutely top notch.  You build a deck of 24 cards from a library of 90 and use them to build and expand fiefs in your earldom.  You can build armies and defenses, attempt to assassinate your peers, elevate yourself to kingship, and try to bequeath your earldom to your heir before you die of old age (run out of cards).  You are encouraged to attack your peers, as a black token is added to a pool every round that is free of combat.  After eight tokens are added to the pool, the barbarian horde attacks.

Cash ‘n Guns 2.0 – The only game I ever had to buy the moment I saw it.  We were playing in the game library and looked over to see four guys pointing plastic guns at each other in some sort of stand-off.  Everybody gets eight cards at the beginning of the round representing trigger pulls, five are blanks and three are live bullets.  You try to bluff your peers into thinking you’ve got a live round in your gun, and on the count of three everyone aims at their desired target.  Each player can then choose to lay down (pulling out of the round) or stand up and take it.  The players that remain standing reveal their cards.  If you remain standing and don’t get shot, you can draw money.  There are also cards that give players various special abilities.  The person with the most money at the end of the eighth round wins.

Coup  and Coup: Reformation – I’m a big fan of the Werewolf Game and Resistance (party bluffing games), and Coup is in the same vein.  Best part about it, however, is that Coup can be played by as few as two people, whereas Resistance requires five and the Werewolf game requires an entire school bus worth of players.  Each player controls two randomly-selected government officials (there are five total officials) that have specific abilities.  The identity of these officials is kept secret from the other players.  Each player can bluff to use the special powers of any of the five officials, but another player can call their bluff.  The player then reveals the card for the official with the corresponding power if they have it.  If they have the card, the opposing player loses one of their officials.  If they don’t have the card, they lose one of their own officials.  A player loses the round when they run out of officials.

Machi Koro – This is a simple city-building card game that debuted in Japan some time ago and will be released soon (this week?) in English.  There was an overview of the English version at GenCon, but a friend of ours brought her Japanese copy so we could play through it.  There are ~15 cards representing different buildings, each with one or two numbers on the top.  You roll a die on your turn and gain an amount of currency if you roll a number on a card you own.  There are also attack cards that can give you currency from someone else’s bank if they roll a certain number, or give you currency from everyone else’s bank if you roll a number.  You also have four “major attraction” cards you can build that give you special abilities (e.g. roll two dice instead of one, or earn double currency for certain cards).  The first player to build their fourth major attraction wins.

-b0b
(...get your geek on!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1040 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
My only question now is when can you and Mere come over with some of those new games to try out?!

X

(going to Wizard World Comic Con on Friday)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1041 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 11:27am
Print Post  
You guys open on Saturday?  I don't think we've got anything going on, but I'll ask Mere.

If Saturday doesn't work, maybe Tuesday of next week?

-b0b
(...can't wait!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1042 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Sounds great!

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1043 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth is now available on Steam for pre-orders.

$49.99 on October 24th

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1044 - Nov 15th, 2014 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEmVIEuc9c

My body is ready.....

(Yes I know it's the Aussie version of the trailer, but it was streaming smoother than the US version.)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1045 - Nov 15th, 2014 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I'm right there with you!  I pre-ordered my copy a couple days ago and finished pre-loading earlier today.  The icon is just sitting on the desktop mocking me...

On a side not, Origin still sucks.  I had to restart the pre-load literally 25-30 times to get it to finish.  It kept timing out every 10 minutes, despite getting excellent throughput when it actually decided to run.

I also fleshed out my storyline decisions in "The Keep", Bioware's new Dragon Age hub.  Due to the new consoles, Bioware decided not to put a save import feature in Dragon Age III (and screw us PC gamers that still have our saves available).  The Keep is pretty schnazzy though and walks you through over 300 different decisions you made in Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II, and the expansions and DLC.  You can export your Keep configuration into Dragon Age: Inquisition once it launches, thus providing continuity to your Dragon Age experience.

-b0b
(...is thinking about taking Tuesday off, but knows better than to trust EA on launch day.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1046 - Nov 15th, 2014 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I already filled out my Dragon Age Keep import a week or two ago.  I played DAO on Steam and DA2 on PS3 so it was useful.

I bought the console version of DAI for PS4 this time mostly because I hate Origin, and I like sitting on my couch and playing Wink

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1047 - Nov 16th, 2014 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
We built a gaming PC for our living room last year, so I've got the option of playing from my couch.  I'm very methodical about combat in Dragon Age, though, so I'm not sure if I can handle the switch to a controller for this one.  It's fantastic for more controller friendly games, though, and lately we've been playing games like Transistor, Brothers, Contrast, and Costume Quest (all of which are highly recommended!) on the couch.  Best money we ever spent!

-b0b
(...Brothers is particularly bad-ass and pretty much requires a controller.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1048 - Nov 16th, 2014 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I've been considering this myself.  Neither of my gaming computers are anywhere near my Television.  I've considered moving one of them but I just love having to computers side by side to much.

Either way I've gotten pretty comfortable with console gaming in my old age (hah!).  Putting up with drivers and bugs and hardware problems and games just irritates me.

There is something to be said for just popping a disc in and going.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1049 - Nov 17th, 2014 at 12:25am
Print Post  
On a side note, this week is going to be absolutely insane for gaming.  Far Cry 4 launches the same day (got a free pre-order with my GTX 980), and so does Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U.

Dragon Age is definitely getting first dibs, but Far Cry is pre-loading right now and I know it will be calling my name.  Meredith is already hinting at picking up Smash Bros., and the DLC for Mario Kart 8 just came out last week.  First world problems!

-b0b
(...needs more free time!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 79
Send TopicPrint