Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 449615 times)
The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Re: Geek News
Reply #420 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 1:31am
Print Post  
I see, interesting.

And I'll be damned it is borked.  I don't even remember what it is, it's been there for so long haha.

I'll fix it tommorow.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #421 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis' friendship will be the subject of a new film
By Jacob Shamsian on Jul 16, 2014 at 1:19PM   

British fantasy literature has two towering figures: J.R.R. Tolkien, author of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and C.S. Lewis, author of The Chronicles of Narnia. The two were longtime friends, and now their relationship will be the subject of a new movie: Tolkien & Lewis, an $18 million drama, will be produced by UK-based production outfit Attractive Films and directed by Simon West, known for The Expendables 2, Con Air, and a certain Rick Astley music video.

Attractive describes the movie as “a drama fantasy set in war torn Britain in 1941 revealing the faith, friendship, and rivalry between J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.”
The two writers had a lot in common: Both taught at Oxford, both fought in World War I, and both preferred not to spell out their names. Their relationship was friendly for years, but turned famously fraught. Through late-night conversations, Tolkien, a religious Catholic, convinced Lewis to return to the faith; Lewis’ writing took off afterward, and he’s now best known for his books that are instilled with Christian themes, like the Narnia series and The Screwtape Letters. But Lewis then became a much-criticized unofficial spokesman for Christianity, which strained his relationship with Tolkien and Oxford. And while Tolkien struggled over the Lord of the Rings manuscripts for years, Lewis’ Narnia books were bestsellers.
Tolkien & Lewis could end up in direct competition with Tolkien, a project from Fox Searchlight and Chernin Entertainment. That movie, announced last year, is supposed to be a biopic of Tolkien, covering his time in World War I and as a professor, but no budget or director has been announced.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #422 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 8:40am
Print Post  
So it's going to be a biography filmed by the guy responsible for The Expendables 2 and Con Air?  That seems like an extraordinarily random choice.

-b0b
(...wouldn't have expected that.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #423 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 11:46pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #424 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 8:19am
Print Post  
X wrote on Aug 5th, 2014 at 11:46pm:

I love reading these LoTR conspiracy theories.  I don't know that it holds any water, but the author has clearly given this some thought.  Sadly, it all hinges on a heavy-handed interpretation of a three-word phrase uttered by Gandalf before his fight with the Balrog.

-b0b
(...interesting theory though.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #425 - Aug 10th, 2014 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
A bunch of random people have teamed up to take control of an abandoned NASA satellite, and they're doing it from an old closed-down McDonald's restaurant.  This is craziness, but it's also pretty damn cool!

http://betabeat.com/2014/08/civilians-in-abandoned-mcdonalds-seize-control-of-wa...

-b0b
(...too nifty!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #426 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Humble Bundle this week is graphic novel Star Trek books!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books?startrek_bundle&utm_source=Social&utm_medium=...

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #427 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Coca-Cola Brings Back Surge Soda to Tap 1990s Nostalgia
By Duane D. Stanford September 15, 2014

Coca-Cola Co. (KO:US)’s newest social-media campaign reaches back to a time when even MySpace didn’t exist.

Surge, a citrus-flavored Mountain Dew knockoff that was discontinued by Coke about 12 years ago, has reappeared in limited supply today. The only place to get it: Amazon.com.

Billed as the company’s first ever e-commerce reintroduction, the news was announced by the Facebook Fan site “Surge Movement,” whose 128,000 members lobbied for its return and paid for a billboard in Atlanta. Coke gave the drink a Twitter account, too, so loyalists can “follow the brand’s journey.”
Story: How a Facebook Group Persuaded Coca-Cola to Rerelease Surge

“Surge is back,” the Facebook page’s organizers said, urging readers to buy and spread the word. “The Movement does not end here!”

At the website listserv.com, Surge is listed as No. 7 on a Top 10 list of discontinued sodas, beating out Hubba Bubba Soda. Surge, a sweet and caffeinated green pop, will be sold in 12-packs of 16-ounce cans printed with the original graphics for $14. Coke said it may expand the drink to other retailers and add to the campaign, depending on how consumers react.

“This will be a great learning experience for us and a refreshing opportunity for fans,” Wendy Clark, Coke’s president of North America Sparkling & Strategic Marketing, said in a statement.
Story: Coke's Honest Tea Goes First Into Keurig Lineup

Scott Williamson, a Coke spokesman, declined to say how much of the drink the company has produced intially.
‘Extremely Rare’

Coca-Cola has struggled for decades to counter PepsiCo Inc. (PEP:US)’s Mountain Dew juggernaut. Surge was one of those efforts. Introduced in 1996, the last bottles and cans were offered in 2001, two years before the social-networking site Myspace debuted. Facebook would come even later.

At the Surge Movement Facebook page, founded just before Christmas 2011, fans shared a 1997 commercial for the drink. Another post showed a way to get “extremely rare” Surge syrup on Ebay.com. One fan photo shows an artifact that was discovered at a flea market in Okoboji, Iowa: a giant Surge bottle once used at events to ice down drink samples.
Story: McDonald’s Is Crowdsourcing Its Next Hit Burger

“I stole one of these when Surge first came out,” one commenter responded. “Sadly, it was lost at the top of Happy Jack Mountains outside of Laramie Wyoming when someone got in it and tried to ride it down a mountain. It was a prize possession.”

The group sold “The Surge Movement” t-shirts, and it crowdfunded a $4,000 billboard near Coke headquarters in Atlanta that read: “Dear Coke, We couldn’t buy Surge so we bought this billboard instead.” It’s the largest to “pledge” for the revival of any discontinued product.
Mountain Dew

The site’s managers urged fans to call Coca-Cola routinely with reminders like, “Did you make your call today?” A mysterious undated video posted yesterday showed the Facebook page’s administrators meeting at a hotel in Atlanta. Users wanted to know why but they weren’t saying.
Video: BMW, Coca-Cola, Yahoo Favored on Asia Exposure

It’s no wonder Coke keeps trying. Mountain Dew, the fourth-best-selling soft drink in the U.S., has been one of the few bright spots in PepsiCo’s soda lineup in recent years as consumers drink less soda. Popular with teens, video gamers and extreme sports enthusiasts, Mountain Dew outperformed both the soda category and Pepsi-Cola last year, according to Beverage Digest data.

Coke may have found its opening, though. Dew’s volume sales declined last year. Sales volume for regular Dew fell 2.2 percent, compared with declines of 3.6 percent for Pepsi-Cola and 3 percent for the category.

It's sold out for now - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2OGS08

But maybe manufacturers will bring back some classic drinks like this...maybe Ecto-Cooler?!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #428 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 10:34am
Print Post  
I remember drinking way too much Surge with a friend of mine and splitting an entire tin of brownies during a late-night D&D session.  I stood up and passed out.  Good times!

Best Amazon review:  "My brother has been in a coma for 12 years. I whispered into his ear that they were bringing Surge back and he shot straight up, did a backflip out of bed and roundhouse kicked a nurse."

-b0b
(...mmm, Surge!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #429 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
In case you guys missed all the hubbub the last two days, Microsoft announced the new version of Windows will be called Windows 10.  Microsoft is skipping the Windows 9 moniker altogether, because screw continuity.

A very early "technical preview" was just made available a few minutes ago here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download?ocid=tp_site_downloa...

This should go without saying, but absolutely positively do not install this on any machine you care about.  You will almost certainly need to reformat/reinstall several times between this early release and later beta/RTM releases.

-b0b
(...is downloading it now and will throw it on a VM.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #430 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/28/syfy/

Interesting article.  It tells us what the fans have said since day 1, the name change was stupid and Sci-Fi has progressively gone downhill with a few decent shows that they then cancel.

I hope more networks will continue in this tradition.  Let's see TLC and History and A&E class itself up again.  History, where are my Nazis?!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #431 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Star Wars Episode VII now has a subtitle, "The Force Awakens".

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/11/06/star-wars-episode-vii-breaking/

-b0b
(...please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #432 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
8TB drives are now available from Seagate, and they're retailing for just $260.  No word on reliability yet, but these might make for an interesting NAS hard drive.  They're only spinning at 5900 RPM, but holy schnikeys that's a lot of data on a drive!  Make sure you put these puppies into a RAID array, or you'll regret it!

-b0b
(...nice!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #433 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/demolition-man/33283/demolition-man-the-origins-...

While I enjoy the cheese fest of this movie...here's a bit more background of what this movie is remembered for.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #434 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Dec 9th, 2014 at 3:16pm:
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/demolition-man/33283/demolition-man-the-origins-...

While I enjoy the cheese fest of this movie...here's a bit more background of what this movie is remembered for.

X

Honestly, this seems like one of those questions I don't really want an answer to.  It's best left as an enigma!

-b0b
(...an enigma wrapped in a mystery, wrapped in bacon.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35
Send TopicPrint